Google Summer of Code

edited March 2011 in General discussions
I recently stumpled about google summer of code. In a nutshell google pays students some money for working on Open Source projects during the summer break.
Google Summer of Code is a global program that offers student developers stipends to write code for various open source software projects. We have worked with several open source, free software, and technology-related groups to identify and fund several projects over a three month period. Since its inception in 2005, the program has brought together over 4500 successful student participants and over 3000 mentors from over 100 countries worldwide, all for the love of code. Through Google Summer of Code, accepted student applicants are paired with a mentor or mentors from the participating projects, thus gaining exposure to real-world software development scenarios and the opportunity for employment in areas related to their academic pursuits. In turn, the participating projects are able to more easily identify and bring in new developers. Best of all, more source code is created and released for the use and benefit of all.
So I was thinking: how about the orx project participating in this year's google summer of code?

what do you think?

projects that could be implemented, which came to my mind are:
    none
  • networking supportnone
  • scripting supportnone
further information can be found here:
http://www.google-melange.com/

Comments

• edited March 2011
    I like this idea, would certainly be a good way to get some more interest in Orx at the very least.
  • edited March 2011
    I hope one day orx could be integrated with some 3d engines like ogre seamlessly
  • edited March 2011
    Yep, I already looked at GSoC last year (someone else asked if orx could apply). Unfortunately orx as a project didn't meet all the requirements of Google to be part of GSoC. Maybe this year it could work, I'll give it a read during the week.

Scripting could be nice additions, as for full 3D or networking support, I think it might be too much work for one student over the lenght of the GSoC. If you have any other ideas, please let me know.
  • edited March 2011
    I'm not 100% sure if I can do a GSoC again this summer.(but I really want to) An idea I'd like to do if you get in would be to write a alternative rendering frontend for Orx. (should be doable with Orx's abstraction of render components. most likely using qtgraphicsview or maybe qglwidget) This is mostly driven by me being at a stuck point in Pey, which I believe I mentioned to you(iarwain) before in an email. A solution like this would help me continue Pey and give Orx another target system it could run under.
  • edited March 2011
    Yes, definitely, I thought I came back at you on that but apparently I didn't, my very bad. :/
    I'll reply right now just to make sure it's not delayed anymore.
  • edited March 2011
    One more thing I thought of:
    right now creating GUI stuff using orx is rather complicated. there are ways around it, like creating things programmatically. however it would be nice to have some basic UI framework that provides an convenient way of creating a game UI(buttons text input etc).
  • edited March 2011
    And when gui will be more easy, a FX editor will be really great.
  • edited March 2011
    Someone began to work on a CeGUI integration, but apparently didn't commit much of his code on the repository before leaving.

As for editors, I'd go for an animation graph editor first. ;)