Windows 7 problem

edited August 2012 in Help request
My game works fine on Windows XP. I recently sent it to my friend who's running Windows 7. He replied that the game does not start and Windows shows the following error:
The application has failed to start because the side by side configuration is incorrect please see the application event log or use the command line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail

Now, I have a laptop with Windows 7 on it, so I turned it on and checked if the game's working. Unfortunately I got the same message. The system is 32bit. I've tried compatibility mode and running the .exe as an admin. It didn't help.

The game is built with debug configuration in VS2008 Express. I've tried both normal execution and the one without the console. I'm using a few STL imports such as string, map. The version of orx I'm using is from SVN, updated 12th of August.

One of my previous versions of the project works well on Win7, but it's pretty old (written around May).

Any idea what might cause this problem and how to fix it?

Comments

• edited August 2012
    I'm not familiar with that error message but I can try it on my computer if you want.

I've been running orx (and a few projects made with it) on different Win7 computers without any trouble so far, though they were all 64bit versions of windows.

If you send me your project, including binaries, I can try them and see if I find anything.
  • edited August 2012
    I downloaded the binary at work, where I run Win7 x64. Got the same message.

graag wrote:

I installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 and reinstalled the 2010 one. Still no luck.

iarwain wrote:
    If you send me your project, including binaries, I can try them and see if I find anything.

Thanks, I'll send it today when I get back home :)
  • edited August 2012
    Hi,

Maybe, try to disable the crossfire if you have it enabled, I recently saw that problem on a friend's w7 computer. This pb didn't exist few month ago.

I didn't investigate more about the reason, but disabling the crossfire temporary solved the problem.

I'm on vacation, and this reply is from my phone, so I can't do more than this post actually,

Hope that can help!
  • edited August 2012
    Isn't Crossfire connected with ATI graphic cards? My laptop has GeForce, so it doesn't seem related.

At work I have Radeon, but it doesn't even have such option.
  • edited August 2012
    Well, I quickly tested your binaries on 3 different Win7 computers (ATI and NVidia cards), and it worked just fine on all of them.

My guess is that's it's definitely a redistributable issue there.

Your project is using the DLL versions of VS redist, and that typically ends up with this kind of problem. I'd recommend using statically linked VS redistributable library instead.

To do that, go to your project properties -> C/C++ -> Code Generation -> Runtime Library.

There select Multi-threaded/Multi-threaded debug instead of Multi-threaded DLL/Multi-threaded Debug DLL.

Rebuild everything and then send the binaries again to your friend and let us know if that worked! :)
  • edited September 2012
    You, sir, are awesome. It fixed the problem.

The bad news is, the binary still doesn't work on my friends computer (it just throws "Program stopped responding"). I asked him for the log file and it turns out it came with the following problem:
    [2012-09-01 12:50:49] [ASSERT]
    [orxdisplay.c:orxDisplay_GLFW_InitExtensions():498] [ASSERT] : <eError
    == GL_NO_ERROR && "OpenGL error code: 0x500">

I already sent him a message to update his graphic drivers and I'm waiting for response. Is there anything else I can advise him to do?
  • edited September 2012
    Glad that fixed your issue!

As for OpenGL, yep, he needs to install up-to-date graphics drivers, but not via windows, the one provided by his graphics card manufacturer (ATI, NVidia, ...).
    The OpenGL drivers are vendor specific and Microsoft doesn't really support it. :/