Level editor and Animation editor

edited August 2012 in General discussions
Hello everyone,

I'm still to learn the library.
The logic of the ini files escape me again...

Do you have an graphics assets and levels editor ?

I read in a tutorial about "ScrollEd".
A level designer (or an artist) can use ScrollEd directly ?

a++
Numael

Comments

• edited August 2012
    Hi Numael,

I've recently made an attempt to contribute to the community by way of an animation editor. It's at an alpha stage really, but I think (hope) it has enough functionality to be useful. I know it's lacking a help section, and I'll try to add it as soon as possible, but in the meanwhile, I hope it's simple enough to be discovered through simple clicking around. What it does for you, is to prepare the .ini file section for your animations, which can be tedious to specify by hand (sprite coordinates etc.).

I'd be really happy if you end up trying it and maybe drop a few lines of feedback. It's very easy to give it a shot, it's a single jar file.

As for level editors; I know that people have been working on really good looking ones, but I haven't tried any, I'm sure someone relevant will drop a line on them as well.

Cheers
  • edited August 2012
    Hi Numael,

This week I successfully managed to use Tiled (http://www.mapeditor.org), imported a bitmap of my tiles and layed out the tiles in a level map. Tiled has a very nice feel to it.

Then I exported the map in JSON format and hand copied the data out into an orx config file.

Yes this step was a little tedious.

I am working on a converter app to take Tiled TMX files and convert them to orx config files.

Should be due next week. Very much looking forward to enobayram's animation editor.
  • edited August 2012
    You can find a few other tools, either WIP or unfortunately not actively developed anymore, in the Project - Tools section of this forum.

From memory, in addition to enobayram's animation editor, there should be contributions from laschweinski, acksys, eyecreate, ainvar and gemberkoekje.

There's also my own contribution named Scroll/ScrollEd which is basically a C++ thin wrapper that includes a simple level editor.
  • edited September 2012
    Hello,

Thank you for all your answers.
    This gives me more tracks to explore.
    I studied the implementation of workflow with Orx.
    I testerais your solutions and give you my comments.

a++
    Numael :)
  • edited September 2012
    Hello enobayram,

I just tested the editor and I think I need a tutorial.
    I do not understand what to do. ^^

a++
    Numael
  • edited September 2012
    Hi Numael,

Thanks for giving it a try. The very first version I've introduced was dead simple, so I didn't need to have a help section in the beginning, but there's much more added now, so I definitely need a help tab now. I'll add it sometime today.

To summarize now; when you first start the editor, it asks you to "create a new project" or "open an existing project". The "project" here is basically a file that keeps the state of the editor data, such as frames, animations and animations sets. But it also serves as a base folder for your files. I've introduced this, to be able to move the game directory and still be able to load an editor state, as long as the project file moves with the other files.

Once you have an open project in front of you. There are a few things you can do.

- You can create an animation,
    - create a frame for an animation (the animation must be selected as you press the create animation button),
    - you can open an image, and designate a portion of it as a frame (by selecting a frame and drawing a square in the image with a left click and drag).
    - Some other properties of frames can be changed from the edit menu

Once you have your animations,
    - you can create an animation set
    - import animations inside the animation set
    - specify connections between the animations (by first left-clicking the source and then left-clicking the destination)
    - move around animation icons in the animation set by right-click and dragging them.

Once you're happy with everything, you can specify a target .ini file, and write to it, using the file menu. Don't forget to save your project before leaving the editor, I don't have the "would you like to save before exit" prompt in place yet.

The help section is coming soon, as I've stated, good luck meanwhile.
  • edited September 2012
    Hi Numael,

I've added a help section to the editor, I hope that makes it easier to use the editor. I guess the best would be to have a quick video tutorial, showing the creation of the .ini files for one of the animation tutorials in the wiki, but I've never prepared a video tutorial, and therefore don't have the setup (nor the time) for it.

Please let me know if you've any ideas for making it easier to get started with the editor.

Cheers
  • edited September 2012
    While you're at it, Numael, would you like to test out the map converter? https://forum.orx-project.org/discussion/5010
  • edited September 2012
    Hi all,

I was not expecting many responses.
    For the moment, I have not time to watch all this.
    I'll do my best to give you feedback.

a++
    Numael