Understanding TrackList

edited May 2013 in Help request
I am lost trying to understand TrackList. There are only 4 messages on forums about it and there is some short mentioning on wiki.

Object was missing TrackList attribute altogether, so I added it on the wiki page.

I think of displaying a moving bullet with track list. At least it appears to be capable of doing so, but I don't even know where to start.

Thank you

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Hi,

So I believe you already read the initial forum thread then?

Thanks for adding the TrackList property to the wiki, I somehow forgot to do it. This property allows to define one or more TimeLine tracks bound to an object.

You shouldn't really need to have a timeline for a moving bullet, actually. What do you have in mind?

Timelines are very useful for automating things that can't completely be done in config. They accept the same commands as the in-game console.

If you check the resource tutorial I recently wrote, there are some heavily commented timeline tracks that could help you understand them.

If you have any specific questions about them, don't hesitate.
  • edited May 2013
    I have no problem placing a bullet object on the screen and making it move in the direction I want.

What I am missing is how to make this bullet disappear after it runs a certain distance and does not hit anything. Perhaps I can use a one time timer and make the object go away.

I have seen bouncing balls tutorial and I assume that hit detection is done by the engine. I assume there is an event I can listen for if there is a collision.
  • edited May 2013
    Ah ok, I understand.

Yes, if you have physics properties for your object, you'll get the corresponding event notifications. You can check the code here.

If you simply want your bullet to get deleted after X seconds, you can use the LifeTime config property. If you want something more complex/scripted, timeline tracks are indeed what you want. :)
  • edited May 2013
    That resource app you have mentioned is a great demo.
  • edited May 2013
    Glad you like it.

I also posted a descriptive summary on the orx-dev group.