Using the SVN code

edited February 2011 in Help request
Firstly, I apologise for my ignorance.

It's time for me to use the SVN code. There are bug fixes there that I need.

I have a vs2005 1.2 code base and I downloaded the latest SVN trunk.

I loaded up the VS2005 project and compiled the orxLIB project inside and then copied the resulting codelibdynamicorx.* files to:

myprojectinmsvs2005

and

myprojectlibmsvs2005

Then I used:

codeinclude

to replace mine at:

myprojectinclude

My project compiled well, which says the includes are good but I got an exception / break in orx.h.

There's no real instructions in the doc folder but I suppose that most people who use c/c++ and svn a lot wouldn't need them.

Could anyone please give me a hand with what I really should be doing?

Many thanks,
Wayne

Comments

• edited February 2011
    You did everything well. The issue with 2005 is that the binaries might not (euphemism) be up to date on the svn as I can't compile them myself.

In order to fix that, you'll have to compile the external dependencies first. In /extern, you need to compile Box2D, SOIL, GLFW, libsndfile and OpenAL-soft. There should be vs2005 project files for all of them.

Then you need to go to compile orx itself (embedded dynamic debug and embedded dynamic release). After that you should be able to get orx(d).lib/orx(d).dll from code/lib/dynamic and the include files from /code/include.

When you want to export all the .h files, if you're using tortoiseSVN, it's a simple matter of drag&dropping the /include folder on your own local one with right click and then select: SVN export versioned items here.

If you still have some troubles, please let me know.

PS: Also, if you want a 1.3 release for vs2005, I might ask you to send me binaries for 2005 when I'm making the release candidate. ;)
  • edited February 2011
    Certainly keen to provide a binary for vs2005 for when 1.3RC comes out. I take it that vs2005 support is intended to continue for orx 1.3? I know I should go to vs2008 myself soon.

Decided to make a list of progress and compile both vs2008 & vs2005:

vs2005 - Box2D - Complete
    vs2008 - Box2D - Complete
    vs2005 - SOIL - error C2220 warning as error stb_image_aug.c line 178
    - error C2220 warning as error image_DXT.c line 92
    vs2008 - SOIL - Complete
    vs2005 - GLFW - Complete
    vs2008 - GLFW - Complete
    vs2005 - libsndfile - Complete
    vs2008 - libsndfile - Complete
    vs2005 - OpenAL - fatal error C1083: 'dsound.h' No such file or directory. file dsound.c line 29
    vs2008 - OpenAL - fatal error C1083: 'dsound.h' No such file or directory. file dsound.c line 29

I can't go any further. It appears I am missing a requirement or two.
  • edited February 2011
    Thanks for the detailed report.

For SOIL, I'd suggest going into the project settings and find the option so that warnings are not treated as errors.

For OpenAL, you need to install DirectX SDK. That can be found on microsoft's web site. It's free but it's a big download (~500MB I think). I'm afraid you can't compile OpenAL without it.
  • edited February 2011
    Thanks, iarwain.

vs2005 - SOIL - Project Properties / C++ / General / Treat Warnings As Errors = No - Complete

I'll download DirectX SDK tomorrow and continue the build.

Thanks for your help.
  • edited February 2011
    Installed DirectX SDK - Complete

vs 2005 - OpenAL32 - Project Properties / C++ / Additional Include Directories / (add eg. C:Program FilesMicrosoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)Include)
    - Complete

vs 2008 - OpenAL32 - Project Properties / C++ / Additional Include Directories / (add eg. C:Program FilesMicrosoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)Include)
    - Complete

Code: orx.sln solution....

vs2005 - orxLIB - Embedded Dynamic Debug - fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'box2dd.lib' orxLIB
    vs2005 - orxLIB - Embedded Dynamic Release - fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'box2d.lib' orxLIB
    vs2005 - orxLIB - Dynamic Debug - Complete
    vs2005 - orxLIB - Dynamic Release - Complete

vs2005 - orxLIB - Embedded Dynamic Debug - Complete
    vs2005 - orxLIB - Embedded Dynamic Release - Complete

I did find a config error in the Box2D project so that is causing an error downstream in the orxLIB project. Basically, the 2005 project (one of the build modes) is pointing to the 2008 folder.

I will start from scratch this evening and do it again properly, noting all fixes along the way.
  • edited February 2011
    Good catch. I've updated the faulty Box2D project file. You can sync it on svn if you want. :)
  • edited February 2011
    You are way fast! Ok, SVNing now and will try the builds again in four hours.
  • edited February 2011
    For the sake of simplicity I just did the vs2005 builds, with good results:

vs2005 - Box2D - Complete
    vs2005 - GLFW - Complete
    vs2005 - libsndfile - Complete
    vs2005 - OpenAL - OpenAL Properties / C++ / Additional Include Directories / (Add DirectX SDK Includes directory from C:Program FilesMicrosoft DirectX...) - Complete
    vs2005 - SOIL - Soil Properties / C++ / Treat Warnings As Errors = No - Complete

vs2005 - orxLIB - Dynamic Embedded Debug - Complete
    vs2005 - orxLIB - Dynamic Embedded Release - Complete

Copy orxLib (pdb, exp & lib) files to /myproject/lib/msvs2005/ , (dll & ilk) files to /myproject/bin/msvs2005/

Copy /includes over /myproject/includes

Project builds and compiles fine, project runs. The only surprise is... the custom events aren't firing. I'll go and have a read around for any changelogs... maybe things have changed.

iarwain, you mentioned to compile the embedded versions of orxLIB. Isn't embedded for things like embedded devices? Shouldn't I be using the Dynamic Debug and Dynamic Release versions?

I believe I should be reading this somewhere.... :)
  • edited February 2011
    Mmh, yes, the way events are defined in config files has changed. It should be specified in the CHANGELOG file, if it's not I'll update it soon. You can look at CreationTemplate.ini to see how to declare the events now.

As for embedded, it doesn't concern embedded devices but embedded plugins. I believe there's some details in the README file, but I may be wrong as it's been a while. Let me know if I need to update it. :)
  • edited February 2011
    Just spent 3 hours on a train from Canberra to Sydney and so wasn't able to get your reply. The absence of the internet forced me to look around a little better.

I finally found the changelog in the root folder in a file titled CHANGELOG in uppercase. Now how could I miss that?

Anyway, all the details were there. I've converted my animation lists to the new format and all is working.

The bug that plagued me is gone, all actions are working beautifully and I'm totally pleased.

Thank you as ever for all your help.