Skeletal Animations?

I think I might have brought it up earlier, but I'm curious now, and I think it could use its own thread. What's the status of the skeletal animation system? No pressure, but I am curious to know how far you've gotten with this. I'd love to use it in my project. Because of the simplicity of my project, it would be a good stomping ground to try new things. Thanks!

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Yes, we'll really need to get this feature up this year, I think.

I've worked on it a whopping 2 evenings about 3 years ago, never to be touched again since. ;)

I started thinking about it again a couple of weeks ago but I want to think it all through before starting to implement it. It'll probably come with a big revamp of the animation system as I want to also support vertex animation, non-quad objects (where vertices can freely be determined) and re-use of animation graphs for different objects, like having a similar graph for different NPCs but with different visuals. Right now this last part can be achieved but by cheating a bit.

So, as you see, it will be a much bigger task that just support the skeletal bit by itself.

As soon as I'm done integrating the thread branch into main (as it's pretty stable from what I can tell), I'll tackle a couple of smaller tasks, namely support for Signed Distance Field fonts and some rendering optimizations. When that's done, I'll start focusing again on the animation system and will write a proposal on the orx-dev mailing list. :)

The main focus of orx 1.6 will be multi-threading support, so I guess 1.7 will be about the animation system.
  • edited April 2014
    Cool! I can't wait for the multi-threaded features. Will you keep us posted on your progress?
  • edited April 2014
    I'll write a post on orx-dev when the integration is done. For now you can already use the thread branch, it's functional for all platforms beside iOS.
  • edited April 2014
    In orx-hg or release 1.5?
  • edited April 2014
    On the hg repository, otherwise you wouldn't have a branch. ;)
  • edited April 2014
    Right. :p
    I've been trying but our school Internet has a proxy and secure connections don't seem to work right through it, so I still have just the 1.5 release.
  • edited April 2014
    You can always get a zip file of any version/branch thanks to the download feature of bitbucket. :)
  • edited April 2014
    That would've been nice to know! I'll get on that right after class!
  • edited April 2014
    I just downloaded it. Is it safe/ready enough to use for now? or should I just stick with the default branch?

I won't need threading functionality for a while, although it would be fun to play with.
  • edited April 2014
    I'd recommend using it, yes. It's the version I'm using for my own projects and it's going to replace the main one very soon.
    The only known bug so far is a visual glitch happening when viewing the profiler history for other threads other than the main one.
  • edited April 2014
    Got it, thanks.
    I'm excited to see this project still alive. I was afraid I'd come back and find it unmaintained! Keep up the good work! First threads, then skeletal animation, then the world! Or something like that.
  • edited April 2014
    Ahah, that's the plan! :)
    Orx has been steadily active since mid 2007 (development was more erratic between 2002 and 2007). So as long as Lydesik and myself are around, I wouldn't worry too much for the maintenance side. ;)
  • edited September 2014
    I see threads have been implemented. Keep on keeping on!
    In the mean time, I still don't have my own computer... kinda hard to program without one. I'm borrowing my mom's. It's not the greatest, but it beats my dinky old tablet.