Orx Game Jam?

edited September 2014 in General discussions
Hey guys, wouldn't it be cool if there were orx specific game jams run by the community? I think it would be cool.

I have no ideas, no clue on how to organize it, and no time to do so, but maybe one of you can? I'd try to participate, but it's hard without having my own computer.

Comments

• edited October 2014
    I had a similar idea last year. I'd be keen for it.

Thinking 24 hours... participants chattering over IRC as in progress perhaps?
  • edited October 2014
    I like the idea!
    However I feel like the community is at its smallest at the moment (compared to the last 4-5 years), and I'm not sure how many people would participate.
  • edited October 2014
    It would be fun.

I am not sure about the comunity, possibly many people come here to check. For instance, I have not been posting, but I still check the forum two or three times per week.
  • edited October 2014
    Yep I agree. I even had a real simple idea pop into my head I'd like to do for it.

If there is a time limit on the jam, does that time include making graphic/sound assets? Or is it the coding time only?

I'm not sure how these jams normally work with people all over the world in different timezones and only a number of hours to complete their game.
  • edited November 2014
    A suggestion for how the game jam could work:
      * Jam goes for one week to allow for people with families and kids. That's plenty of evening coding to make something in plenty of time. * Date: January 16, 2015 to January 23, 2015 * Whenever you're online, connect into the chat room to see what other orx'ers are working. * Post in the jam thread after each session with a note on your progress. * Game assets like graphics/audio, idea sketching can be done beforehand. * Can't start actual programming until January 16.

What do you guys think?
  • edited November 2014
    I think it would be really cool if we made very small snipets to update de showcase section, focusing on some very useful feature of orx.
  • edited November 2014
    The showcase section is actually changing shortly. I've collated all the orx projects, screenshots, videos I could get my hands on.
  • edited November 2014
    I like your proposal, sausage. Shouldn't we also provide a theme?
    Assets could also be borrowed from opensource/free repositories (maybe we should provide a collection of links to those?)
  • edited November 2014
    Hmmm a theme idea. I can't think of one. Anybody else have an idea?

I know of this site for free game assets: http://opengameart.org/

Knolan mentioned another one to me but I can't find it now.
  • edited November 2014
    You could ask around the /r/gamedev subreddit on Reddit, I see a lot of rather kind artists there.
  • edited June 2016
    Check this out also. https://mobilegamegraphics.com/ they also have a freely game assets and themes.