Spatialized sounds

It would be great if the spatialized stereo effect on objects playing mono sounds could be reduced or be more subtle or switched off. Is this possible?

An object at (0, 0) plays in both left and right equally, but you only have to stray a few pixels to the left and right for the sounds to be either one side or the other.

Perhaps I'm not understanding the role of config properties Attenuation and RefDistance. We have little information on this topic except for the config property explanations which are very brief.

Of course I can use the technique of having an generic empty object sit in the centre of the screen to play sounds, but I lose the benefit of functions like orxObject_SetPitch which would affect all sounds playing on it. Perhaps I need to look at buses for this.

Tagged:

Comments

• edited July 2018

The easiest way would be to use stereo sounds in that case. The parameters you mentioned are OpenAL parameters, as such you should be able to find more info on their behavior online.

We could look into a way to disable spatialization altogether for a sound but we'd need to first check how that can be achieved with OpenAL.

Lastly buses are indeed the perfect mean to modify a bunch of sounds at once.

• Nice, so OpenAL params. I can research those and document.

And I can easily do stereo samples, but I recall stereo sounds crashing android. Perhaps Loki fixed that I don't know. I'll have to test it.

• @sausage said:
    And I can easily do stereo samples, but I recall stereo sounds crashing android. Perhaps Loki fixed that I don't know. I'll have to test it.

Mmh I would have to check but I think Little Cells was using stereo sounds, including on the Android version.

• Thats a good a test as any then. I'll switch to stereo which is probably a little nicer for this project anyway.