Can't create a window with big display size.

edited June 2010 in Help request
When the display size is smaller than my screen resolution,It's all running right.
But when I change the display size bigger than it, it can't create the window and output scaling factor problem.
I know in common condition, it's nonsense, but I need that.
My screen's biggest resolution is 1440 * 900. But the IPhone 4 is 640 * 960.If orx have this limit,I can't test my IPhone 4 game in windows.

And then, I could think there is another use.
When you want to develop some game with old screen but want to let the game run in newer and bigger one.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Because of the same problem,I can' get a IPad size in windows.
    Now,orx have all the IPhone like device as a vertical device.(I don't know how to describe this situation)It means all the original screen width in IPhone is small than the height. Then we could change the camera's rotation to get a right coordinate system.

And I thought if it could have a special rotation set property.Maybe I just want a 1024 * 768 or 480 * 360 device.If this is not done, I should develop all the IPhone/IPad horizontal games with my head rotated 90. Or have a more special config file for the windows to fix the problem.(with the width and height property interchange and delete the rotation property of Camera section.
  • edited June 2010
    jtianling wrote:
    When the display size is smaller than my screen resolution,It's all running right.
    But when I change the display size bigger than it, it can't create the window and output scaling factor problem.
    I know in common condition, it's nonsense, but I need that.
    My screen's biggest resolution is 1440 * 900. But the IPhone 4 is 640 * 960.If orx have this limit,I can't test my IPhone 4 game in windows.

It's actually an issue with SFML (and SDL has a similar one, but slightly different). I can't do anything about it and I wouldn't be surprised if they can't even fix that at their level as it might be OS/driver-dependent.

I'd suggest to use a lower resolution with the same aspect ratio, such as 480 * 720. Only change the display size, don't change the camera one (ie. don't have the camera size use the viewport's one, but let 640 * 960 for the camera). That should give you what you want.
    And then, I could think there is another use.
    When you want to develop some game with old screen but want to let the game run in newer and bigger one.

That would be a very bad idea, meaning people with an older configuration can't play your game correctly, whereas if you choose a smaller resolution the game will still be playable with a result very close to the original one.
  • edited June 2010
    jtianling wrote:
    Because of the same problem,I can' get a IPad size in windows.
    Now,orx have all the IPhone like device as a vertical device.(I don't know how to describe this situation)It means all the original screen width in IPhone is small than the height. Then we could change the camera's rotation to get a right coordinate system.

And I thought if it could have a special rotation set property.Maybe I just want a 1024 * 768 or 480 * 360 device.If this is not done, I should develop all the IPhone/IPad horizontal games with my head rotated 90. Or have a more special config file for the windows to fix the problem.(with the width and height property interchange and delete the rotation property of Camera section.

I'm not sure what you want there. As you say it yourself at the end, you can rotate the camera and exchange width & height for your display. That can be 3 lines in a separate config files loaded only from your computer, including your iPhone file and overriding these properties.
  • edited June 2010
    I know how to overriding these properties,But when I want to support three different screen resolution with IPhone,IPhone 4,IPad. I need to have all three useless config files in Windows, That's not a good idea I think.The best one is they just have one config, the Windows version is the same as the one in iOSs.

I know maybe the config in Windows is short and only have a little lines,but it is the burden for different screen resolution support.
  • edited June 2010
    Again, I don't see your problem there. You can't have a display bigger than your screen size and expect it to behave correctly.
    This is hardware/driver dependent.

Adding 3 lines of config (without changing any line of code) sounds to me like a very practical way of dealing with your issue.
  • edited June 2010
    OK, I think I will accept that. Thought I'm with some kind of pity.
    Yes, when I choose a portable game engine, I should prepare for that, it couldn't just change for IPhone/IPad.lol, So luky, That's not a big problem as you said.
  • edited June 2010
    As I plan on using glfw soon to replace the SDL plugins (as using SDL on mac is evil in my case, due to this #$$^#*@ of SDL entry point), I should be able to handle window's resize as I'll have direct access to the OpenGL context.
    It's not high on my priority list, but it'll be there for the 1.3 =)
  • edited June 2010
    Because of your hard working on supporting such a lot platforms on your own.I hope I could do more help as I can.
  • edited June 2010
    A contribution to an editorx would be more than awesome. *hint hint*
  • edited June 2010
    I was thinking of a editor.Now I'm trying to live on myself.After that there will be a config editor and a animation editor.
    By the way, I found the Cocos2D for IPhone support a independent level editor, If orx could support it's file format, we could use it as Cocos2D.It's better than make a level editor from scratch.
  • edited June 2010
    Sure, why not. What's the name of this editor?
    Under what license it it published? If it's an open source editor it could even be modified to match orx's config format.
    If it output XML I guess a simple XSLT sheet could do the job.

However, as orx as a couple of unusual features, that means that you'll have to use a lot of different editors: this one, Pey as config editor, an animation graph editor, a FX curve editor, a particle editor using orxSPAWNER/orxFX capabilities, etc.

It would still be better than no editor at all, I guess. :)
  • edited June 2010
    Its name is Tiled(http://www.mapeditor.org/), and it's a great open-source map editor. I think the change for orx is easier than change the Tiled.The file format is open and the Tiled JAVA version is better.Tiled Qt version is on work. I don't think I could have patience to learn JAVA again and change the editor.
  • edited June 2010
    Oh yeah, I've already stumbled upon this one, it looked interesting.

I guess there's no need of working on the java version as it's not maintained anymore. I'll still stick with Scroll as there are a couple of features I personally needs such as non-tile editing, multiple layers with differential scrolling and the ability to try the game in the editor.
    I was planning on adding a better resource manager in scroll and on supporting both orthogonal and hexagonal tiles.
  • edited June 2010
    The last time I saw the editor.Someone told me the JAVA version was better and worked well.The Qt version was on work.

I am glad to see that Orx will support a map editor.