Linux Packages

I've decided to try and build packages of orx that integrate better into the system due to me trying to clean up Pey a bit. Side effect is I took time to make it easier for others to use them too.

orx stable(1.2) {
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=orx&project=home:eyecreate:orx

Builds currently are for:
OpenSuse 11.3 x86/x86_64
OpenSuse 11.4 x86/x86_64
Fedora 14 x86/x86_64
Ubuntu 10.04 x86/x86_64
Ubuntu 10.10 x86/x86_64

Archlinux x86/x86_64: https://forum.orx-project.org/discussion/1535#Comment_1980

Builds being worked on:
None
}

orx-svn {
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=orx-svn&project=home:eyecreate:orx

Builds currently are for:
OpenSuse 11.3 x86/x86_64
OpenSuse 11.4 x86/x86_64
Fedora 14 x86/x86_64

Builds being worked on:
Ubuntu 10.04 x86/x86_64
Ubuntu 10.10 x86/x86_64
}

If you need a different revision of one of these distros, let me know so I can turn it on.

Warning: Not all builds have been tested yet. (especially orx-svn)

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Nice stuff! I might be interested to test the Fedora one. What is the difference between these specific distro builds verses against the regular 1.2 downloadable version?
  • edited January 2011
    The regular download contain all the things needed to develop for Orx, but they do not integrate into linux package management system due to trying to keep Orx cross-platform.(not all OS have package system to manage dependencies and development) These packages are meant to make it easy to install Orx on linux to play Orx based games(if compiled against liborx) and to prevent bundling duplicate data for each Orx based project. Currently, the only things in these packages are:

orx:
    contains liborx.so library to link against

orx-dev:
    contains header files to use when compiling for Orx. (using "#include <orx/orx.h>" should work.)

These should be the minimum to get something running Orx running, but I would like, if I get the time, to make a orx-doc containing tutorial and other stuff along with possibly including the Orx "main" executable. Also, these packages are compiled with each distro and architecture, unlike the main package on the site, so it should fit better into each distro.

Also, since I sometimes use features from iarwain that are in SVN, I may end up making a package for those using the latest SVN code.

So, in short, lots of good stuff for people wanting to use Orx on linux, making things a little easier and integrated.
  • edited January 2011
    Excellent idea.

I've never looked to much into how to make packages for linux (because I'm lazy ^^) so I'm really happy you did that. :)
  • edited January 2011
    I finally figured out how to make debian/ubuntu packages.(There's a lot more restrictions I didn't know about that made me have to restructure things.)

Hope those are enough distros to cover for now.
  • edited January 2011
    Quick note for those using. Seems on testing the OpenSuse package, that I found that you still need to add /usr/include/orx to your include path when compiling because some of orx's includes.
  • edited March 2011
    New packages up for opensuse 11.4, seeing as it's being released this Wednesday.
  • edited March 2011
    Thank you. Great Job!
    I was trying to build from svn repot when I had seen this post.
    Lot of time saved , rdy to code :woohoo: .
    I ll try the opensuse 11.3 pkg.
  • edited March 2011
    Thanks for the update, Eyecreate!
    Haven't tried them myself, but I should install a linux64 "soonish", so I'll give them a try too. :)
  • edited April 2011
    Cool, and there's now even more to try. I have mostly finalized my orx-svn package.(currently at r2414)
    Anyone who'd like to test, please do so and let me know how things work. the orx and orx-svn packages should also remove the other if the other is installed.(so let me know if it doesn't do that.)

Lastly, iarwain, due to me trying to reduce the work I've put(and will in the future) into these packages, I have a parts of a new build system to be committed to svn.(with your acceptance, obviously) The build system is a cmake system which is easier for me to update/maintain and also can be cross-platform(though I don't have the windows/mac osx parts in yet) and can work/compile on systems with no GUI interface(like build systems) and can be automated, therefore. So, check your inbox!
  • edited April 2011
    Sounds great to me! I'm sorry but I don't have much time to write a longer post for now, but we can talk about all this when I come back in about a month.
  • edited April 2011
    Archlinux Please, thanks.
  • edited April 2011
    Will look into this since PKGBUILDs aren't too difficult to write if a SPEC file is already written. :)
  • edited May 2011
    Alright, FireZ, I got a preliminary PKGBUILD written for the orx 1.2 package. First, you need the orx source package(with a few mods) from here since it seems OBS won't allow large files to be downloaded by guests.
    http://us.bucketexplorer.7071edbdbb1169aa0127873b1b45608c850bd791.s3.amazonaws.com/orx-1.2.orig.tar.gz
    Now, use the PKGBUILD from here:
    http://us.bucketexplorer.7071edbdbb1169aa0127873b1b45608c850bd791.s3.amazonaws.com/orx/PKGBUILD
    to build the package. Let me know if that works and if you need more info than I've given you.
  • edited July 2011
    For those wanting the latest stuff, the orxtest package on the repo at the top contains my compilation test of 1.3rc0.

EDIT:Here for those who can't find it:
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=orxtest&amp;project=home:eyecreate:orx
  • edited July 2011
    jay. I was about to start figuring out how to compile it, but I'll be lazy now :D

EDIT: I'm probably blind, but I'm not seeing it.
  • edited July 2011
    Nice!

I'm currently installing a 64b linux box here so hopefully I should be able to test it soon and updated the project files to support both 32b and 64b.