image formats

edited May 2009 in General discussions
i havent seen it written anywhere thats easy to find, but... what kind of image formats does the engine supports?
clearly it supports pngs, but does it handle special 'images' like svgs and the likes?

thanks.:)

Comments

• edited May 2009
    Hi Klintux!

The fast answer for the supported format list, as of today, is: pgn, jpg, bmp, tga & dds, for loading and saving (screen capture, for example).

But actually, it's not exactly bound to orx.
    Orx's current main display plugin is based on SFML which only supports the above formats (only bitmaps, no vectorial).

However, by writing a display plugin that handles other file formats (like vectorial formats, such as svg), orx will then be able to use them: only the plugins care about formats, as for orx, the graphic data (and any other kind of external data) is completely abstract.

So to sum it up, as of today, orx can't handle svgs, but it's possible to add support for them by writing the corresponding plugins. :)

Thanks for the question, I'll update the about page with this info. :)
  • edited May 2009
    alright, but since orx uses this unusual plugin system, and apparently many other things(like .ini files, etc.)... what will this look like when it compiles?
    (as in, what will i need to bundle with the app for it to run? any libs or whatnot? dlls under win?)

thanks again.
  • edited May 2009
    Depends on which version of orx you want to use.

If you (or someone else) writes such a plugin, you can have it separately (in a .dll/.so) or embedded in orx library.
    Then the orx library can be linked dynamically or statically to your executable.

If your plugin is not embedded directly in orx library, you'll need to load it at run it by specifying its name in a config file (it can also be specified on command line or loaded manually by writing code). If it's embedded, you don't have to do anything at all, the plugin will be internally loaded and initialized.

I'm not sure if this answers your question but I hope so. :)
  • edited May 2009
    klintux wrote:
    alright, but since orx uses this unusual plugin system, and apparently many other things(like .ini files, etc.)... what will this look like when it compiles?
    (as in, what will i need to bundle with the app for it to run? any libs or whatnot? dlls under win?)

thanks again.

Hi Klintux

The .ini files help you to define parameters like objects, special effects, images, etc outside the source code. Using the .ini files you can change this parameters, so you won't need to rebuild the project the project again and again and again. Take a look to Basic Tutorial 00 videos

http://orx-project.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21&Itemid=26

It's possible to include a lot of thing just by changing the .ini file. From my point of view using the .ini is really easy and powerfull.

Hope this will help you
  • edited May 2009
    got it,
    thanks for the answers guys.