Pandora in tow

Just wanted to share my excitement that I finally have in my hands a Pandora.
http://www.openpandora.org

DSCN0981.jpg

I've been having fun seeing what it can do and have even successfully made a simple PND(self contained app:http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=xfce-taskmanager-xfce4-taskmanager-11126). I'll try and see if I can work a way to get Orx onto this device, though I'll have to first figure out how to make sure the version I compile will only use OpenGL ES calls.(shouldn't be too difficult otherwise.) If I get something, I'll post it in Projects.

Ask me questions about this device here if you are curious about it.
DSCN0981 392.1K

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Congrats!

I've been considering getting one for a long time, before they started making the preorders actually, but it's still a bit too expensive for me. That being said I'd love to see orx running on it! :D

If you want to have orx run on it, I'd start from the GLFW/OpenAL plugins and simply replace the GLFW calls by whatever API calls are available for the Pandora. That shouldn't be too much work I think.

I can setup a branch on the svn for your needs if you want to work on that.
  • edited May 2011
    Thanks!

I personally wouldn't have one either if it wasn't I had a little extra money to spend on something about the time pre-orders were announced.(I don't see me affording one if I had to buy it at this point in time.)

I'm going to play progress on this by ear due to me recently snagging a co-op at a local business.(Don't want to tackle more than I can handle.) Btw, did your work on the iphone version (or the work been done on android..both use opengl es) yield any useful code paths I can use, or was it too device specific?(or maybe it's easier to modify the linux build instead of mobile ones.)

I'll let you know when I think I have something to put in a branch.
  • edited May 2011
    I wrote the iPhone plugins and the Android ones were respectively done by Laschweinski and Lydesik.

On iPhone, the display plugin is very similar to the GLFW one except it handles two different paths for OpenGL ES 1.1 (fixed pipeline) and OpenGL ES 2.0 (programmable pipeline).

So yes, looking at the iPhone version might be the best move. You'll only need to change the image loading/saving I think. And for that you can take the code from the GLFW version that use the external library SOIL.

For the sound, I guess OpenAL is supported, so the OpenAL plugin should hopoefully work as is.

What's left is the mouse, keyboard and joystick plugins as the Box2D and Render ones should also work out of the box.

On iPhone I used the touch screen for the mouse and the accelerometer for the joystick. There's no keyboard plugin currently for it.

All in all, it shouldn't be too much work and don't worry about being busy, I think it's the same for all of us, there's no expectations, only a good surprise if it comes true. =)
  • edited May 2011
    eyecreate wrote:
    I finally have in my hands a Pandora.

Ah, you dirty dog. I'm still waiting for my pre-order. Well done though, hope you're loving it.
  • edited May 2011
    I indeed am enjoying it. I had time this weekend to dive into it and have got the tools and stuff together to compile things. I ported my first big app today, with a bit of work.(and disabling features I didn't know how to port)
    http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=lmms-lmms-32513

I hope yours comes soon...I expect you will enjoy it too.
  • edited May 2011
    eyecreate wrote:
    I indeed am enjoying it. I had time this weekend to dive into it and have got the tools and stuff together to compile things. I ported my first big app today, with a bit of work.(and disabling features I didn't know how to port)
    http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=lmms-lmms-32513

I hope yours comes soon...I expect you will enjoy it too.

I'm hanging for mine. Did you use the GP2X version of orx to port something or do mean an unrelated app? Nice work anyway. Can't wait to try Amiga & scummvm. And then turn it into a word processing station with an external keyboard & mouse.
  • edited May 2011
    sausage wrote:
    Did you use the GP2X version of orx to port something or do mean an unrelated app?

That version is definitely obsolete, I never had the opportunity to debug it due to late models of GP2X lacking of an easy way to communicate with computers.

I'll remove any code/ doc related to it in the future.
  • edited May 2011
    iarwain wrote:
    sausage wrote:
    I'll remove any code/ doc related to it in the future.

Doh. I was hoping to port the game to the GP2X, but maybe it's time to let it go and hope for a pandora build environment. :(
  • edited May 2011
    Ah well, if you have some interest into it, I'll be happy to leave the files on the svn for you. I for sure won't continue it myself as I had to move on.