tried to build tutorial 10

edited August 2011 in Help request
and i got no binary to execute but the build had no errors....

i feel im missing something basic here

hmm its compiling it with the c compiler and the c++ compiler and making a duplicate resource and thats causing it to stall but no errors

Comments

• edited August 2011
    this is what im getting in eclipse and ive double checked it uses
    gcc 4.5.2
    i have the includes right
    i have the libs set in the right place

this is wht it spews and yes i named it fxth after 5 tries thinking i had it loaded wrong

Description Resource Path Location Type
    make: *** [fxth.exe] Error 1 fxth C/C++ Problem
    more undefined references to `_imp_@orxModule_AddDependency@8' follow fxth line 113 C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp___orxDebug_Log' main.cpp /fxth line 234 C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp___orxDebug_Log' main.cpp /fxth line 265 C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp___orxDebug_Log' main.cpp /fxth line 269 C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp___orxDebug_Log' main.cpp /fxth line 286 C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp___orxDebug_Log' main.cpp /fxth line 305 C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@_orxDebug_Exit@0' fxth line 456, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludeorx.h C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@_orxDebug_Init@0' fxth line 387, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludeorx.h C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxClock_Update@0' fxth line 434, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludeorx.h C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxEvent_AddHandler@8' fxth line 410, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludeorx.h C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxEvent_AddHandler@8' main.cpp /fxth line 197 C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxEvent_RemoveHandler@8' fxth line 445, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludeorx.h C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxEvent_Send@4' fxth line 428, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludeorx.h C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxEvent_Send@4' fxth line 437, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludeorx.h C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxInput_GetBinding@16' main.cpp /fxth line 259 C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxInput_GetBinding@16' main.cpp /fxth line 261 C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxInput_GetBindingName@8' main.cpp /fxth line 260 C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxInput_GetBindingName@8' main.cpp /fxth line 262 C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxInput_HasNewStatus@4' main.cpp /fxth line 295 C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxInput_IsActive@4' main.cpp /fxth line 295 C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxInput_IsActive@4' main.cpp /fxth line 302 C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxLocale_GetLanguage@4' main.cpp /fxth line 188 C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxLocale_GetLanguage@4' main.cpp /fxth line 209 C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxLocale_GetLanguageCounter@0' main.cpp /fxth line 185 C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxLocale_GetLanguageCounter@0' main.cpp /fxth line 207 C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxLocale_SelectLanguage@4' main.cpp /fxth line 188 C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxMemory_Zero@8' fxth line 420, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludeorx.h C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxModule_AddDependency@8' fxth line 108, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludeorx.h C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxModule_AddDependency@8' fxth line 109, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludeorx.h C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxModule_AddDependency@8' fxth line 110, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludeorx.h C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxModule_AddDependency@8' fxth line 111, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludeorx.h C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxModule_AddDependency@8' fxth line 112, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludeorx.h C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxModule_AddOptionalDependency@8' fxth line 119, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludeorx.h C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxModule_Exit@4' fxth line 448, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludeorx.h C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxModule_ExitAll@0' fxth line 452, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludeorx.h C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxModule_Init@4' fxth line 407, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludeorx.h C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxModule_Register@16' fxth line 395, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludeorx.h C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxModule_RegisterAll@0' fxth line 398, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludeorx.h C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxModule_SetupAll@0' fxth line 401, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludeorx.h C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxObject_CreateFromConfig@4' main.cpp /fxth line 133 C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxObject_CreateFromConfig@4' main.cpp /fxth line 139 C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxObject_Delete@4' main.cpp /fxth line 146 C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxObject_Delete@4' main.cpp /fxth line 147 C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxObject_SetUserData@8' main.cpp /fxth line 136 C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxParam_DisplayHelp@0' fxth line 413, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludeorx.h C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxParam_SetArgs@8' fxth line 404, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludeorx.h C/C++ Problem
    undefined reference to `_imp_@orxViewport_CreateFromConfig@4' main.cpp /fxth line 213 C/C++ Problem
    'orxCOLOR* orxColor_FromHSLToRGB(orxCOLOR*, const orxCOLOR*)' defined but not used fxth line 468, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludedisplayorxDisplay.h C/C++ Problem
    'orxCOLOR* orxColor_FromHSVToRGB(orxCOLOR*, const orxCOLOR*)' defined but not used fxth line 637, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludedisplayorxDisplay.h C/C++ Problem
    'orxCOLOR* orxColor_FromRGBToHSL(orxCOLOR*, const orxCOLOR*)' defined but not used fxth line 391, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludedisplayorxDisplay.h C/C++ Problem
    'orxCOLOR* orxColor_FromRGBToHSV(orxCOLOR*, const orxCOLOR*)' defined but not used fxth line 562, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludedisplayorxDisplay.h C/C++ Problem
    'orxU32 orxString_PrintUTF8Character(orxCHAR*, orxU32, orxU32)' defined but not used fxth line 276, external location: C:orx-dev-mingwincludeutilsorxString.h C/C++ Problem
  • edited August 2011
    Hi,

Everytime you see missing symbols beginning with _imp_, it means you have a static/dynamic library mismatch.
    In this case it's likely that you have built a static version of the orx library while the tutorial expects a dynamic one.
    Two way to fix this:
    - either build the dynamic version (likely to be dynamic embedded release) and copy the include files, the link library (liborx.a) and the runtime library (orx.dll) from code/lib/dynamic
    - or with the static library (liborx.a) that you get from code/lib/static when building the static embedded release version, you need to add a preprocessor define to your project: __orxSTATIC__, but in this case you don't need the runtime library (orx.dll).

Let me know if this fixed your problem. :)

PS: there should be more or less explanations on all this in the README file.
  • edited August 2011
    I have been trying to setup eclipse and i added
    c:orxinclude
    to my include lines and
    c:orxlib
    to the library includes

this is the same way i set up when i was working with sdl directly so thats what i expected to make this work

and yes it fixed the gint spew of errors but now its being.... dificult

cannot find liborx.a.....

ive directly added it as a single resource too and ohh yes it is indeed there
  • edited August 2011
    It's a good setup except orx's library actually lies in c:orxlibdynamic.
    Liborx.a should be there. I haven't used eclipse/cdt in years so I don't remember all the setup stages for it.
    Basically you need the link library accessible somewhere, the runtime library in the same folder as your executable.
    For the debug build you also need to specify the preprocessor define __orxDEBUG__.
  • edited August 2011
    yeah im downloading the svn now see if i have better luck i was just using the downloads off sourceforge
  • edited August 2011
    Oh I thought you already synced the svn.
    Well, once you've synced it, you need to compile the mingw version using codelite. The project file is in orx/code/build.
  • edited August 2011
    to be honest i dont like codelite lol thats why i tried to get eclipse running but if i have to i will use codelite
  • edited August 2011
    You only need it to build orx, so it should only take 30s, after that you can use whichever editor/tool for your own project. :)
  • edited August 2011
    ..... ok im doing something wrong now that i built orx im getting the staic/dynamic link errors in codelite....
  • edited August 2011
    are there any special settings to the codelite workspace? because in there it compiles but it wont compile if i remake the workspace and add all the files
  • edited August 2011
    Are you building the dynamic embedded versions?
  • edited August 2011
    ok got it working kinda... it wont actually make a .exe for some reason
  • edited August 2011
    to be perfectly honest im about to just give up because its not making any logical sense
  • edited August 2011
    Mmh, I'd need more details of what works and what doesn't in order to thelp you.

I just synced the svn and built win32 versions with codelite (win32 embedded dynamic debug/profile/release).

I got the link and runtime libraries in orx/code/lib/dynamic.
    I got the launcher in orx/code/bin as well as the runtime libraries (copied from orx/code/lib/dynamic). If I run orx/code/bin/orx.exe I get my playground (4 platforms and bouncing balls/texts spawned with left click, right click adds a wobble effect on the object under the cursor and middle click toggles a simple custom shader).

Did you get all this on your side or is there something missing?
  • edited August 2011
    In more details, here are the files that are built when you compile the 3 versions mentioned above with codelite:

In orx/code/lib/dynamic:
    liborx.a
    liborxd.a
    liborxp.a
    orx.dll
    orxd.dll
    orxp.dll

In orx/code/bin:
    orx.exe
    orxd.exe
    orxp.exe
    orx.dll
    orxd.dll
    orxp.dll

The .a/.dll files are the only things you need (in addition to the .h include files).
    For your own project, you simply need to set the link path to orx/code/lib/dynamic and the include path to orx/code/include.
    You also need to copy the .dll files to where your own project's exe is compiled in order to run it.

For the debug version of your project, you need to specify __orxDEBUG__ as a preprocessor define and for the profile version (if you want one), you need to define __orxPROFILE__.

I think that sums up everything.
  • edited August 2011
    Also, just to make sure, you're using gcc 4.5.0, isn't it?

If you're using an older version you'll need to recompile the external dependencies (only GLFW, Box2D, libsndfile, OpenAL-Soft and SOIL). They're all located in orx/extern and have either the native project files or project files I created for codelite when none were provided by the original authors.

My guess is that you don't want to go down that road but use a newer version of gcc instead. :)
  • edited August 2011
    no the sandbox bit works fine but when i try to make a new project and use tutorial 10 as a base it runs fine but will not generate a exe yet when i hit run from withing codelite it runs i assume its me screwing something up in codelite
  • edited August 2011
    If it runs from codelite, the exe has been generated.
    Maybe it's a path/name issue and you're not looking for what was actually created by codelite?

EDIT: I have to go run an errand and won't be there for a couple of hours. Hopefully you'll find your issue soon enough. :)