edited June 2011 in Projects - Tools
Ok, I've just released my first game using orx for android you can grab it here
Gravity

I really love to read your feedback on it. TIA

lydesik

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Nice!

I'll try to grab it on my wife's Android during the week. :)
  • edited June 2011
    I have downloaded it, it would be a good game to demonstrate orx's power. :)
  • edited June 2011
    Hey lydesik, congrats! It looks like a fun game. Unfortunately I don't have a android phone to play it.
  • edited June 2011
    nice to see orx running in a android game available in the market :D

of course I didn't have a look at the help before starting the game. ;) then I was a bit clueless what to do and it took some time to figure out what the actual aim of the game is. so displaying some hint in the beginning of the level would be nice.(maybe only on first start)

the ads were blocking the time line on the bottom.

app2sd would be nice. Is this possible with orx on android?

out of curiosity: will the game run with any resolution and aspect ratio, or do you require a specific one?
  • edited July 2011
    good advice for the tip on start game

app2sd should not be an issue, i just need to add an attribute in the AndroidManifest.xml of the game

for resolution/aspect ratio, it's all orx default behaviour.

the resolution is sent at orx initialisation with the values of the android window resolution, and orx keep the aspect ratio by adding black bar on the sides if necessary.

Gravity use a Viewport of 800x480
  • edited September 2011
    Bit of a late reply, but I'm digging the game! It's rather gratifying once you get your comet/asteroid/ball looping around for a long time.

Out of curiosity, how did you map Android gestures to Orx input events? Is there a tutorial on this specifically? The Orx-Android tutorial is basically just how to compile stuff for the platform; actually using the gestural input is another story.

And good references?
  • edited September 2011
    Mmh, I haven't developed anything for Android myself yet, but I was wondering what you were calling gestures. Are they the same as in iPhone terminology (ie. gyroscopique pre-determined moves such as shake) or do you mean the shapes written with touches?

If so, single touch can be retrieved via the mouse interface (and thus mapped to the input plugin using the MOUSE_LEFT input). Multi-touches, on the other hand, require you to listen to a system event that will send you all the information you need.

Not sure if that's what you were after!
  • edited September 2011
    At this point, just single presses will do, so I'll give your mouse input tip a try.

Eventually I'll need more complex movements, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
  • edited September 2011
    So yes, in this case, a single touch is mapped to the MOUSE_LEFT input. Also, for convenience, the accelerometer is mapped to the first joystick (JOY_1_X/Y/Z).

For advanced gestures, I don't know what Android natively supports but iOS only has one: Shake. If you want other gestures, you'll have to analyze/detect them yourself.
  • edited September 2011
    Cool Game!

Couple things:
    1. When I fail a level it disappears and a new level appears to be created. I would like to get to keep trying the same level over and over :)
    2. Initial Velocities on the planets could make for some more interesting interactions.
    3. Some clear explanation of what is happening at the edges of the screen might help me, I expected it to sail off and instead it almost bounces.
    4. Could be cool to get points for being close but not hitting, so if you sailed off into the distance you wouldn't get any points.

Just some ideas, realy liked it, very cool!