More Specific Questions related to orx trunk files

edited October 2011 in Help request
Okay, so I've got the Tortoise SVN on my laptop, as well as the Android SDK. Will prolly choose which version to develop for later today, as well as get my hands on the NDK. I've checked out the orx trunk at SourceForge and gone to the code/build/msvs2010 folder. I was told that I needed to compile the embedded dynamic version of orx. I'm looking at the solution file for the msvs 2010 and I basically copied and pasted it all into MSVS 2010 and tried to compile it all...got a bunch of build errors, so I'm obviously missing something. I have located the words 'embedded dynamic ' in the code, but I'm not sure what to copy-paste and compile exactly, in order to get the required orx files. I have checked the tutorial by Grey and it said something about downloading the appropriate dev package (which is confusing, due to the long list of differnt packages and the fact that my IDE is MSVS 2010, but I'm aiming to develop for Android). I was directed to the method detailed about (with the orx trunk), but if the things I'm confused about could be made clear, it sounds like it'll be pretty smooth sailing. Other than these files, the SDK, and NDK, will there be anything else I need (I have my IDE picked out, as previously stated)? Thanks in advance...hopefully it'll all make sense to me soon, lol.

See ya on the flipside,

Desh2350

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Desh2350 wrote:
    Okay, so I've got the Tortoise SVN on my laptop, as well as the Android SDK. Will prolly choose which version to develop for later today, as well as get my hands on the NDK. I've checked out the orx trunk at SourceForge and gone to the code/build/msvs2010 folder. I was told that I needed to compile the embedded dynamic version of orx.

So far, so good.
    I'm looking at the solution file for the msvs 2010 and I basically copied and pasted it all into MSVS 2010

Now I'm confused, what did you try to copy/paste? Also I made a mistake with the path, it's actually: code/build/windows/msvs2010 (I missed the windows sub-folder previously).

When you get into that folder you simply need to open the msvs2010 solution (orx.sln).

When inside msvs2010, you need to select one of the embedded dynamic configuration (in the configuration drop down). You then build it. When you're done, you go the next embedded dynamic configuration and so on. There are 3 of them: release, profile and debug.
    and tried to compile it all...got a bunch of build errors, so I'm obviously missing something. I have located the words 'embedded dynamic ' in the code, but I'm not sure what to copy-paste and compile exactly, in order to get the required orx files.

If you follow the steps I've described just above, you should be fine.
    I have checked the tutorial by Grey and it said something about downloading the appropriate dev package (which is confusing, due to the long list of differnt packages and the fact that my IDE is MSVS 2010, but I'm aiming to develop for Android). I was directed to the method detailed about (with the orx trunk), but if the things I'm confused about could be made clear, it sounds like it'll be pretty smooth sailing.

Grey's tutorial point to the dev packages but their content is what you're going to get when compiling orx yourself. Except that your version will work with msvs2010 and will be more recent. Nothing more.
    Other than these files, the SDK, and NDK, will there be anything else I need (I have my IDE picked out, as previously stated)?

No you should be fine. At least for developing for windows. For developing for Android, I don't know if it can be easily done with msvs2010 as the people I know are using Eclipse for their Android needs. But Lydesik and Faistoiplaisir can probably enlighten you on this topic as I haven't developed anything for Android myself.
    Thanks in advance...hopefully it'll all make sense to me soon, lol.

No worries! You should feel much better when those concepts get more familiar. :)
  • edited October 2011
    Are these embedded dynamic configurations in the GlobalSection(SolutionConfigurationPlatforms) = preSolution or the GlobalSection(ProjectConfigurationPlatforms) = postSolution sections?
  • edited October 2011
    No, it's when you have opened the solution with msvs2010.
    When you get into that folder you simply need to open the msvs2010 solution (orx.sln).

When inside msvs2010, you need to select one of the embedded dynamic configuration (in the configuration drop down).

I don't have msvs2010, but here's what it looks like in msvs2008:

Config.png
    Config 81.1K
  • edited October 2011
    When I click on the orx.sln link, I get a text file. Am I doing something wrong? Or do I have to copy-paste something from the text into MSVS?
  • edited October 2011
    And the MSVS at school is the Express Edition...is the Embedded Dynamin Debug/Release/Profile only available in the Professional Edition?
  • edited October 2011
    There's no copy/paste whatsoever to do. Try opening the project file from inside msvs if the double click doesn't work (file->open solution or something similar).

The names of the config aren't related to any version of msvs, they're just "labels".
  • edited October 2011
    I've tried saving the link and using the repo-browser in the SVN to open it in MSVS. I'm getting 'project/file not loaded/found'...Also here's I see when I double click the link in my Google Chrome internet browser:

Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 11.00
    # Visual Studio 2010
    Project("{8BC9CEB8-8B4A-11D0-8D11-00A0C91BC942}") = "orxLIB", "orxLIBorxLIB.vcxproj", "{590A8B1B-8ED1-47F7-8986-B4D372BDF4CB}"
    EndProject
    Project("{8BC9CEB8-8B4A-11D0-8D11-00A0C91BC942}") = "orx", "orxorx.vcxproj", "{C0EC660D-8CF7-4C8E-BEA8-372305EF344D}"
    EndProject
    [...]
    EDIT: I cut the rest of the file content as it wasn't relevant and made the post hard to read.

Sorry if I'm bugging, I'm just kinda learning a lot of this as I go on (no previous experience with game programming).
  • edited October 2011
    Heya Desh,

I've just gone through downloading and building orx with tortoise svn and vs2010, and screenshotted the lot, so hopefully you can take a look at the following, and see if there's a step you've missed in there :)

(I include pics of basically all the steps, so it's likely to be a little redundant, just better safe than sorry I think! :))

right-click and "SVN Checkout":
    svnorx_01_rightclick.png

input " https://orx.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/orx/trunk " as URL and a download location in 'checkout directory':
    svnorx_02_download.png

watch it go: ^_^
    svnorx_03_wait.png

looks like this when done:
    svnorx_04_done.png

Now in visual studio! 'file->open->project/solution'
    svnorx_05_vsopen.png

open the project file:
    svnorx_06_projfile.png

select the 'Embedded Dynamic Debug' build
    svnorx_07_embedded.png

build the solution:
    svnorx_08_buildall.png

which will (hopefully) look something like this when it's done:
    svnorx_09_built.png

and finally, when following along in my tutorials, substitute the 'bin, lib and include' directories from the 'dev build' for your own versions
    svnorx_10_copythese.png

Good luck, and I hope that helps!
    - Grey.
  • edited October 2011
    Thanks for the step-by-step guide. Imma try it out later today or so. If I hit any snags, I'll definitley let ya know, lol. Just one more question (for now): Anyone here ever developed for Android? If so, which version did you choose to develop for? Thanks in advance.

See ya on the flipside,

Deh2350
  • edited October 2011
    Thanks for such a detailed step by step process, Grey! :)
  • edited October 2011
    So, I have to do the Embedded Dynamic Debug, the Embedded Dynamic Profile, and the Embedded Dynamic Release for all 20 folders? One at a time (i.e. EDD for all 20, then move on the EDP for the same, and so on)? 'Cause if I tried to do EDP or EDR for the same folder, I get the 'cannot open file' message.
  • edited October 2011
    You only need the "Embedded Dynamic Debug" build. :)

and if you click "build solution" (as I showed above) it will build all the pieces it needs.

--

I have noticed one thing: in the "lib" directory, there will be a folder for the build you do: in this case it should be called "dynamic". Copy everything from INSIDE that folder, and paste it into the 'lib' folder. This MIGHT solve the issue you're having.

svnorx_11_before.png
    svnorx_12_after.png
  • edited October 2011
    (I moved the whole thread to help request.)
  • edited October 2011
    I'm getting Build: 0 succeeded, 0 failed, 4 up-to-date, 16 skipped. Not the same numbers you had in your screenshot. Also, after trying to re-do this process, Solution 'orx' (20 projects) no longer shows up at the top of the list. Other than that, the only other thing is, in the output box, it displays that thus and such project was not selected for debugging. I had to control+click them all, in order to debug them all. Any ideas? I also did the thingy you suggested with the 'lib' folder. Thanks in advance.

See ya on the flipside,

Desh2350
  • edited October 2011
    Your message tells you that the files were already compiled (4 projects up-to-date). I have no idea what you mean by control+clicking to debug projects. :)

Sounds to me you have all the files you need to use orx now, so I'm not exactly sure what your question is.

All in all, I'd recommend to start by looking for some beginner's tutorial on how to use visual studio so that you can get familiar with its development environment.
    Unfortunately I don't know any site of the top of my head but I'm sure google should provide your with interesting links, or maybe someone here has some to share?

The important part is becoming familiar with how C/C++ development work with visual studio.
    When you're getting comfortable with it you can then think about game development and Android as those are definitely more tricky.

The road might look steep but it's definitely not that bad if you can keep your motivation. :)