Ugh, Another problem. =","2012-05-12 04:19:35

BBCode

Comments

• edited May 2012
    That means you're linking with a static version of orx, not a dynamic one.
    If you are compiling orx yourself, make sure you compile the embedded dynamic targets.
  • edited May 2012
    How exactly do I do that? :)
  • edited May 2012
    Hi!

Did you search a little ?

This is really easy and basic. There's a drop box where you can select the current configuration solution. When you compile orx (build), you have to select a configuration, like debug, release ...

So, for orx, there's multiple configuration available. Select the "embedded dynamic" one (release and/or debug). If you select the embedded dynamic debug, compiling orxlib will generate orxd.dll, if you select the embedded dynamic release, compiling orxlib will generate orx.dll.

Good luck!
  • edited May 2012
    Hello Cactus, in the other thread, I linked you to a tutorial for how to build orx from svn.

If you follow -all- the steps in that tutorial, you will have the exact files you need.

Give it a go: Tutorial 0

If it's not clear, clicking the blue text in that link will expand the text and show you an image of what you need to click inside visual studio/tortoise svn to complete each step.
  • edited May 2012
    I actually did follow that tutorial and used the pictures. I have the .dll and .lib files where they should be and the include file I can link to orx.h but when I build it it doesn't work correctly.

@faistoiplaisir

So do I have to do the same thing that I did to orx.sln to my current project?
  • edited May 2012
    Alrighty then, have you continued on to the next tutorial in my set? ( Tutorial 1 ) -- that one will teach you how to set up visual studio correctly for orx. (Preprocessor defines etc.)
  • edited May 2012
    I just did that tutorial (sorry) and now when I build it it says this:

Unable to start program
    '..LearningORX.exe'.

The system cannot find the file specified.
  • edited May 2012
    check to see if the exe is in the right place ( should be in your /bin/ folder )

:)
  • edited May 2012
    Okay, just in case; I -believe- Visual studio 2010 service pack 1 made some slight changes; THIS will show you what you need to change :)

(I'm double checking everything else, but that should be the only required change I believe.)

Edit:

this and this

complete all the changes you'll need. :) (I've added them to tutorial 1 as well.)
  • edited May 2012
    Well, I no longer get any build erros! :D However, Whenever I try to run the program it says:

Parameter "basePath" cannot be a relative path.

What does that mean?
  • edited May 2012
    That's an odd one that one :P -- I can't seem to make it happen on my own machine.

Just to double check: you followed the steps in the second and third image I linked above, yes? (making the 'target name' etc?) Also; target name is just the name of the exe, don't include ".exe" or any folder names in that (so "project" not "../bin/project.exe") if that makes sense? :)
  • edited May 2012
    Umm, so in Additional Include Directories I put the whole path as in 'C:UserslahlahlahLearningORXLearningORXnclude'

What should I have put?
  • edited May 2012
    no

"..include" works just fine. Where did I mention additional include directories? :(
  • edited May 2012
    It was in your tutorial1. I made sure to follow the three that you just gave me correctly, so I'm looking at the tutorial1 stuff.
  • edited May 2012
    okay, I've updated tutorial 1, so as long as you do all the steps there that are for visual studio 2010 (I believe that's what you're using, no?) you should be just fine
  • edited May 2012
    Yes I am using Visual Studio 2010. Is there a way to reset all the project properties?
  • edited May 2012
    whoops, missed you for a few minutes there (past 1:30am here, going to sleep very soon :/)

I don't think there's a way to reset all the properties, easiest option might be to start a new project (and just copy/paste your code & inis across) -- but up to you.
  • edited May 2012
    During your second tutorial when you make a .ini file, how do I do that? Could I just make a .cpp file but with the .ini extension at the end rather than .cpp?

I made the .ini files and copied and pasted the code, but now I get this build message.
    1>C:Program Files (x86)MSBuildMicrosoft.Cppv4.0PlatformsWin32Microsoft.Cpp.Win32.Targets(147,5): error : Element <WarningLevel> has an invalid value of "Level 3 (/W3)".

• edited May 2012
    A ini file is just a text file renamed to .ini
    Don't put it in your visual studio project, just put it in the same directory as your executable.

A tip for tutorial 3 when it says "Old Code Goes HERE" it means to let the previous code that was inside the function not the whole code, and add the new code in without the orxSTATUS orxFASTCALL StandAlone::Init() { and all. I know it made me scratch my head wondering what it meant :silly:
  • edited May 2012
    Thanks for the tip!
  • edited May 2012
    Actually, disregard everything I said before, new problem! :D

In Tutorial 3 of Grey's series the sprites that you can download, it won't let me open the 'soldier_full.png'. It won't let me move it, open it, or anything, what should I do?
  • edited May 2012
    The zip seems to be broken. You can get the file there.