iPhone Simulator shows blank screen [SOLVED]

edited May 2012 in Help request
I just synced SVN and get only a blank screen when I build and run the iOS test app in Xcode 4 on iPhone 5.1 Simulator.

If I pause execution, it stops at this line in orx.h:
UIApplicationMain(_u32NbParams, _azParams, nil, @"orxAppDelegate");

It never hits my breakpoint on the next line.

This is on a new "Mac" in VMware Workstation, but 3D Acceleration seems to be working elsewhere (e.g. WebGL).

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Update: Things work OK if I clean, build, and run on iPhone 4.3 Simulator instead.
  • edited May 2012
    Ah the SDK change, my old nemesis! They tend to break things that used to work perfectly fine with each new major update...

Like OpenGL ES context creation that doesn't work anymore outside the main thread, etc.

I've just checked on my mac with iOS 4.2 and everything works just fine. I should have access to a Mac with iOS 5.1 tomorrow (not a VM) and will tell you if it works or not (it was working a week ago there though).
  • edited May 2012
    Tested on a real mac with OS X 10.7.4/XCode 4.3.2/iOS 5.1 this morning.
    Everything ran just fine in iPhone 5.1 simulator, iPad 5.1 simulator and on device (iPad3 with iOS 5.1.1).

Not sure what the deal is with VMWare / iOS 5.1 simulator then... :(
  • edited May 2012
    Hmm.... weird, since I also built Equilibria and tried to run it on my iPod Touch (5) and had the same blank screen problem.

Will look into it again tonight! Thanks for checking.
  • edited May 2012
    Mmh, not sure what's going on, sorry.
    I just compiled the latest of Equilibria with the latest of orx on device (iPad3/iOS 5.1/release) and played it on the device (not that I understand the rules, mind you ;)).
  • edited May 2012
    Good news: Things are working now, both in Simulator and on device
    Bad news: No idea why.

Throughout the day, I did quite a few things like clear the simulator data, delete Derived Data, install Apple Updates, and nothing seemed to work. Apple did install a few updates, and Xcode installed one of its own.

Tonight after a build and clean of everything, things are now magically working everywhere :)

So in case it helps anyone else to know, I successfully have Orx building and running my project in VMware Workstation 8.0.3, Mac OS X 10.7.4, Xcode 4.3.2.
  • edited May 2012
    Scary but I'm glad you got everything working in the end. :)