Reference Wiki

Hello,

I've worked long, and hard, to bring you this new WIKI feature.

http://orx-project.org/wiki/en/orx/reference/main

Please note that this is never supposed to be a replacement for the Documentation (http://orx-project.org/orx/doc/html/). Rather, it's supposed to be an addition. If you need an example for a specific feature, this'll help you find it. (For example, how do I create a sound effect, and which INI config commands can I use?)

Have fun, and help me improve it :)

Comments

• edited June 2012
    This is a really good start.

Are you envisioning this as a place for example code? Small code snippets demonstrating the use of modules and functions?
  • edited June 2012
    Example code, Tutorials, and a basic description of each module.

It shouldn't explain each single function, that's what the doxygen documentation is for, but it should give a person a good idea what to do when they want to do a specific thing.
  • edited June 2012
    Also added 2 links to the main page:

http://orx-project.org/wiki/en/orx/main

Things like that shouldn't be hidden :)
  • edited June 2012
    Agreed, good for the SVN link to be somewhere more obvious than in a tutorial.

I think in your reference section code snippets for some of the lesser used functions might be helpful.

For example, the use of orxOBox_2DIsInside is obvious to us that are familiar with the use of Orx, but may not be so obvious to beginners. On the other hand, it doesn't make sense to write a full tutorial about it. So maybe a code snippet illustrating an example would be helpful.

That's just one example. And just something for us to think about.

Another thing I would do is replace any -todo- sections with something a little more polished. Just my opinion--something marked "todo" looks like it's not finished and not ready for the public.

I like what you have done here.. it makes it very easy to find the relevant tutorials for each module.
  • edited June 2012
    acksys wrote:
    Agreed, good for the SVN link to be somewhere more obvious than in a tutorial.

I think in your reference section code snippets for some of the lesser used functions might be helpful.

For example, the use of orxOBox_2DIsInside is obvious to us that are familiar with the use of Orx, but may not be so obvious to beginners. On the other hand, it doesn't make sense to write a full tutorial about it. So maybe a code snippet illustrating an example would be helpful.

That's just one example. And just something for us to think about.

Agreed. Perhaps a new subpage called Code Snippets within each category; I'm afraid otherwise the pages may get too large or too cluttered - I'd like to keep the base alignment clean.
    Another thing I would do is replace any -todo- sections with something a little more polished. Just my opinion--something marked "todo" looks like it's not finished and not ready for the public.
    I've been working on changing the todos with relevant tutorials, but I'm bound to have forgotten a page or two. I'll give it another look in a minute.
    EDIT: Ok, more like 6 pages or so. I'm changing them to n/a for the minute.
    I like what you have done here.. it makes it very easy to find the relevant tutorials for each module.

• edited June 2012
    I've added the following page:
    http://orx-project.org/wiki/en/orx/reference/math/snippets

While I have a good idea what that specific function is supposed to do, I haven't used it yet, so feel free to implement that part with some code you've used :P
  • edited June 2012
    Hey thx for putting those links in a handy place. :laugh:
  • edited June 2012
    Really nice, thanks for the initiative Gemberkoekje.

However is there a reason for the current capitalization of the "modules" (ie. OrxObject)? It doesnt match the module name (ie. orxObject) nor the associated structures (ie. orxOBJECT).
  • edited June 2012
    None, other than my uncanny, and unjust, fanciness for capitalization. ^_^'