Landscape orientation doesn't work on iOS 5.0 SOLV

In the latest orx, it's not necessary to do "camera parenting" to achieve landscape orientation anymore. I noticed today this does not work properly on iOS 5.0, though.

My game's orientation appeared correct in iOS Simulator 6.0 when landscape mode is set in the .plist file. When I ran it on the device and iOS Simulator 5.0, the orientation was incorrect.

Is this something that can be fixed for iOS 5.0? If not, I might have to put the camera parenting system back in for my game.

Comments

• edited November 2012
    I only have access to iOS 5.x, not iOS 6.0 and that's where the feature got developed.
    I haven't tried it for a few weeks so maybe something got broken somehow, I'll try it and see how it works for me.
  • edited November 2012
    I just tried on iOS 4.2 and it worked fine with the demo.

I don't have any dev access to any iOS 5.x setup anymore unfortunately, so I won't be able to test before a while. Have you tried modifying the iOS demo to only support Landscape and start in Landscape? Is it working?

Try to put breakpoints in orxDisplay.m in the selectors loadView and shouldAutorotateToInterfaceOrientation and see what's going on for you in iOS 5.
  • edited November 2012
    I upgraded my iPod Touch to iOS 6.0 and the problem remained, so this seems not to be dependent on iOS version.

Good news is, solved.

When I was having the problem, the .plist looked like this:

<key>UIInterfaceOrientation</key>
    <string>UIInterfaceOrientationLandscapeLeft</string>

Although I had specified this property, the program on both iOS 5.0 simulator and my iPod Touch were ignoring it. I do not know why, but that's what was causing my orientation problem.

Before you mentioned it, I didn't even know you could force an app to landscape mode. This key was not present in my .plist file, but I did some searching and added it based on Apple docs:

<key>UISupportedInterfaceOrientations</key>
    <array>
    <string>UIInterfaceOrientationLandscapeLeft</string>
    <string>UIInterfaceOrientationLandscapeRight</string>
    </array>

With that in place, the orientation starts in landscape correctly. And it rotates when I flip the device 180, which is what we want! Thanks.
  • edited November 2012
    Good, glad it's working for you now! :)