Sprites

edited January 2010 in General discussions
That other thread (the spam one) made me wonder if you guys were sitting on any good sprite sites. A lot of the game development sites feature the same old sprites, or just enormous large archives with varying quality.

One I like is OpenGameArt, easy to use and there are some pretty good sprites there aswell.

And another one, this is just one large archive of sprites from the game AI War but it's really good.

I think I got both these from gamedev.net, but there's a lot of quite bad links to go through there before you get to the good ones.

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Thanks for the links, I didn't know them. (I think I went once to OpenGameArt, but I'm not sure.)

Unfortunately I don't know any good source for sprites. I found a couple of free archives of varying quality but that's about it.

That's also one of the main reason why I entered last TIGSource compo: all the assets were freshly made and they were mainly of pretty good quality! :D
  • edited January 2010
    I have several links if you guys want them. Just reply and tell me.
  • edited January 2010
    iarwain wrote:
    That's also one of the main reason why I entered last TIGSource compo: all the assets were freshly made and they were mainly of pretty good quality! :D

Yep, that was pretty clever :). I've browsed through a few of the submissions and there's some good stuff there. A lot of it is of quite low resolution. But that doesn't really matter if you're just prototyping.

milleja46 wrote:
    I have several links if you guys want them. Just reply and tell me.

Why not just post a few of your favourites? That way everyone can enjoy them :).
  • edited January 2010
    Well for now here's this one: http://www.spriters-resource.com/ I have to find the others. If you use ANYTHING, from this site give credit to users and the orginal game makers that it is from.
  • edited January 2010
    milleja46 wrote:
    Well for now here's this one: http://www.spriters-resource.com/ I have to find the others. If you use ANYTHING, from this site give credit to users and the orginal game makers that it is from.
    It's good for fan-based games, but since almost all of the sprites are rips from existing games, you couldn't actually use those for anything commercial (and the companies could easily issue a cease & desist letter, like they have with other fan-made projects).
  • edited January 2010
    smchronos wrote:
    milleja46 wrote:
    It's good for fan-based games, but since almost all of the sprites are rips from existing games, you couldn't actually use those for anything commercial (and the companies could easily issue a cease & desist letter, like they have with other fan-made projects).

smchronos is totally right. Even when publishing a non-commercial game, the companies owning the IPs can still send you C&D letters.

I remember at least one non-commercial fan-based game who unfortunately ended up that way. The game wasn't even using original material but re-drawn/re-modeled characters and references to a well-know fantasy universe.

Also note this disclaimer taken from the tSR site:
    [...]Although we compile ripped sprites into sheets, and obtain them from games, we do not have any rights over the images.

Custom sprites, although drawn by us, use designs created by the original company, and so we do not claim any creation to the character design. We are however, the original artists of the specific sheets, and have rights over such art.

Although we have not obtained the permission from these companies to host their sprites on this website, we do anyway, in the hopes that these companies understand that our intention is not to steal their works, but to appreciate their work, and to research it for help.[...]
  • edited January 2010
    Yeah i understand that. And know that's what they meant by the site.