New people!

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Well, MegaTen more generally, as my first videogame I've ever played(the one on an us GB), and actually, I'm working for Ghostlight who is the editor which released more or less ALL MegaTens in Europe :)
  • edited April 2012
    A bit late but welcome among us, Falco252!

So you've worked with Éric Chahi? Nice! On which project was it, From Dust or something older?

As usual, if you have any questions, don't hesitate, there should always be someone around to answer them. :)
  • edited April 2012
    Well, worked is a pretty big word actuially :p
    It was just vocationnal training, like 7 weeks at the end of "university".

Basiclly I did it at Ubisoft, turned out I worked with him an afternoon, well, I didn't really do anything (well, fixed a minor bug o/ ), but I could talk with him and see him code a bit, that was pretty much all, but yeah it was for From Dust :)
  • edited April 2012
    Well hello there, this is me beachbum, figured this was as good of a place to peek my head out, and yes I do plan on using this great light little engine to make something fun.
  • edited April 2012
    Welcome to you beachbum, and Falco252 as well!

As Iarwain said, any questions, feel free to ask, I and others are always happy to help answer any! :)
  • edited April 2012
    Damn, you guys are quick, well I have a feeling if I do have any questions you guys are gonna be right on top of things.
  • edited April 2012
    Someone's always lurking ;) -- I'm in Australia so I tend to get this 'late shift' time haha.
  • edited April 2012
    Well good to know this forum is pretty active.
  • jimjim
    edited April 2012
    Very late though, welcome beachbum and Falco252 :) Yeah, the forum is very active,full of fun and ORX is very easy to learn :D
  • edited April 2012
    Not as late as me! ;)

Nothing much I can add to what have been said beside welcoming you here myself too! :)
  • edited April 2012
    Just wanted to say hey everyone. Looking at making a smallish game with Orx and really liking what I see so far. Keep up the good work!
  • jimjim
    edited April 2012
    Hi boxjar and welcome here :) The more you know it, the more you like it. And don't hesitate to ask any kind of questions, if you need any kind of help then someone is always here to help you out.

Btw, your avatar, is that from your game?
  • edited April 2012
    Nice to meet you. Enjoy your stay!
  • edited April 2012
    I'm soooo late. Hello and welcome to the new people around here! Hope you'll enjoy Orx as much as we all do :D
  • edited April 2012
    Thanks very much! I've borrowed the avatar from an animated film, but it's likely that the game will be sort of in the same style.
  • edited April 2012
    It's my turn to welcome you here, boxjar!

As said many times above in this thread, don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any! :)
  • edited May 2012
    Hi everybody!
    I've being checking ORX for a few days and I like it a lot =) I hope I get to use it in my next game, but I'll have to test it a bit more since my team is in a hurry and we need a smooth and fast developing cycle...

Thanks and Congrats to the people behind ORX!
  • edited May 2012
    Hi Antaka and welcome here!

I'm glad you like what you've seen so far. If you have any questions that would help you doing a faster integration (or any questions at all, really), don't hesitate! :)

Thanks for the kind words, btw!
  • edited May 2012
    Thanks for the welcome!

I try to search for the answers in the forum and the tutorials first, but as you have seen I've already start asking hehehe
  • edited May 2012
    Hello!

I should introduce myself.

I am Gemberkoekje, and I'm still a student for a month or so XD

I'm from Holland, and I'm a (game) programmer. I've done a lot in C++, but I've also worked in enough other languages not to be daunted by new languages.

I've studied at the International Game Architecture and Design course at the NHTV, in Breda, the Netherlands, and there I've learned mostly to program games, but also design games, narratology, and of course general programming.

I enjoy prototyping, preferrably in 2D, and I've specialized in creating tools. Not that I've created really interesting tools just yet, but I know a thing or 2 about GUIs.

Anyway, there are a number of my projects on the web:
    My older projects here: http://gemblog.nl/?page=projects
    And my newer projects: http://www.youtube.com/user/gemberkoekje/videos

Most of my newer projects are in CinderLib (http://www.libcinder.org), a simple 3D library for prototyping I really like for it's simplicity. However, as there are some problems when porting to IOS, another thing I would like to do in the future, I'm looking for another library, and as I'm mostly working on 2D stuff (as you can see on my youtube channel) I decided to see what I can do in this thing.

I'm sure I've bored everyone to death now, but I hope to show you a thing or 2 in a few weeks or so, in Orx.
  • edited May 2012
    Hi Gemberkoekje and welcome here!

I've never tried Cinder myself but I remember stumbling upon it a few months ago.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll be making with orx in the future. Meanwhile, needless to say it as you've already posted in other parts of the forum, but don't hesitate if you have any questions. :)
  • edited May 2012
    Welcome! Keep us up to date on your projects.
  • edited May 2012
    Oh, and if you haven't noticed, I love thinking and making plans almost more than actually doing stuff ;)
  • edited July 2012
    Hi everyone!

What a wonderful engine and what a wonderful community :)

I've gone through Grey's tutorials and they work very smoothly, nice work. (Is this a proper place to point a minor issue BTW? I think his "orxObject_Delete( PickedObject );" needs to be replaced with "orxObject_SetLifeTime( PickedObject, orxFLOAT_0 );")

I'm working on two (Both 2D) hobby game projects right now. They also have a possible commercial prospect. One of them is a heavily physics based game (current state: http://pancarsoft.com/physics.zip) , and the other is a time-travel oriented game with a camera angle similar to Dungeons of Dredmor (current state: http://pancarsoft.com/ttproto.zip, needs MSVC 2010 redist).

If you trust me that they don't contain horrible viruses and try them out, you'll see that they're at a very early stage and they're both SDL based. I like SDL, but it's very bare-bones. It's also not that portable to the mobile phones (which I want).

That's why I ended up searching for a nice 2D game engine and ORX really seems like my final stop :) I'm curious about one thing though, before I dig deeply into the forum, the documentation and even the code itself, is it simple (or the intended use) to use low-level ORX services, like loading textures and getting OpenGL to draw them or simply the animation subsystem, without adhering to the framework? I mean, f.x., do I have to create an object just to draw a texture, or can I simply call some draw function?

Thanks a lot for ORX :)

[EDIT by iarwain: Fixed the ttproto link.]
  • edited July 2012
    Most people (including myself) would probably recommend that you make an object to draw a texture. If you really want to do it yourself, I forgot how to do it but I know it's possible (you have to catch some kind of event and call some weird function...)
  • edited July 2012
    Hey mate!

ORX is pretty strict on using objects, and I can advise you to really do use those objects for drawing, it saves a lot of trouble.

I've been using CinderLib (http://www.LibCinder.org) for some of my own (2D) projects, I think what you want right now you may find quicker in Cinder. However, if you're willing to take a little longer fiddling with the objects of ORX, the extra functionality and ease-of-use is worth it.

Video done in Cinder:

http://www.youtube.com/user/gemberkoekje/videos
  • edited July 2012
    Thanks a lot for the quick answers guys.

I don't mind fiddling with objects, but is it flexible enough for any 2D drawing purpose? For instance, in my physics engine, I have deformable objects, so those objects are defined by a collection of many triangles mapped to texture coordinates at each corner. Am I right to assume that the ORX object model is around rectangles, or am I horribly wrong?
  • edited July 2012
    Well, for Cinder I know for a fact that that's possible, i've done it myself. For ORX, you're best off waiting for iarwain, he's the chief bitwizard around here, and the guy who made the framework.
  • edited July 2012
    Hmm, I wonder why I didn't receive a notification for your reply.

I hadn't heard of Cinder, really, that's probably because I always had Linux and Android portability in mind. They don't support them, do they? It still looks interesting though. From a commercial point of view, why would you care about Linux and Android I suppose, on the other hand, I don't feel good when my code doesn't run on these open platforms.

Looking forward to hearing from iarwain.
  • edited July 2012
    Agreed, portability in Cinder is iffy at best (it supports IOS, but not very well) which is why I'm working with ORX as well.
  • edited July 2012
    Nice to see you've ended up at the same place with similar goals in mind.
  • edited July 2012
    Hi enobayram and welcome here!

I'll reply here but don't hesitate to create a new topic if you have any questions, it'll be easier for other people to find it if they have similar inquiries. :)

So yes, orx is heavily object-oriented and a lot of effort has been made to make that model both convenient with very little code to write (using extensively the config system) and efficient (batching of updates, etc...)

You're also right about the default display model: rectangle are used for displaying objects, with the optional possibility of applying custom fragment shaders per object.

You also have access to the full underlying API, including low level render/display calls and, even lower level, OpenGL/OpenGL ES, depending on the target platform.

Instead of writing the whole rendering code from scratch amid your update loop, I'd suggest using a regular object (either placed in the world or as a child of the camera, for example) and replace its default rendering.

To do so, you need to listen to the events of type orxEVENT_TYPE_RENDER. For each object, you'll get notified of orxRENDER_EVENT_OBJECT_START. When handling that event you can then issue all your own rendering commands using OpenGL or orxDisplay, depending on your needs and then return orxSTATUS_FAILURE which will notify orx that you do not want the default rendering for this object.

A small caveat: don't forget to backup/push all the OpenGL states you're going to modify and restore/pop them afterwards or all hell is going to break loose. :)

If you have any troubles, let me know as they aren't many examples around but I know of a few people having done it in the past for either custom UI rendering or special rendering (like a spline-shaped object or tiled background).

If you need to do compositing, orx supports it natively and there's a small example here: http://bitbucket.org/iarwain/compositing / http://orx-project.org/wiki/en/orx/tutorials/community/iarwain/compositing

Hope this helps! :)
  • edited July 2012
    Forgot to mention Scroll!

It's a thin C++ layer built on top of orx that brings a few interesting features (such as an integrated level editor, C++ class-orx object bindings, convenience wrapper including ScrollObject::OnRender() that makes the whole custom rendering easier to integrate than listening to an event).

You can find more info in the wiki, in a tutorial section written by acksys: http://orx-project.org/wiki/en/orx/tutorials/community/acksys
  • edited July 2012
    Lastly (damn sorry for the spam!) I'd recommend using the svn version of orx and not the precompiled packages available for download as they're getting very very old. :)

Orx compiles out of the box on all platforms. Simply choose the "embedded dynamic" configurations (debug, release and profile).
  • edited July 2012
    Hi iarwain,

Thanks again for this nice library in general, and specifically for the answer.

That's way more input than I can handle at 11:50pm on a weekday :) I'll do the proper digging tomorrow. Scroll sounds very interesting, as does the access to the low-level API when needed.

I'll start a dedicated thread in the help section if I have any further questions related to this, and I'll try to submit back if I end up having an example worth sharing. I'd really appreciate a quick answer while you're around though :) When you say OpenGL/OpenGL ES drawing, how do I access the OpenGL functions in ORX, should I just include gl.h? Is there a way to keep this platform independent, or should I suffer the #ifdef's if I want that much freedom? If the answer's going to be much longer than yes/no, please tell me, so I can do this properly in a dedicated thread as soon as possible.

Cheers
  • edited July 2012
    Thanks for the tip about svn, I had to do it anyway, since my stupid anti-virus (McAfee) kept thinking that the pre-compiled orx.exe contained a virus and deleting it. Instead of meddling with it, I've simply compiled from source.
  • edited July 2012
    Hey enobayram,

Thanks for your appreciation of orx!

As for the OGL includes I'm afraid you'll have to suffer through #ifdefs for now. :/

But depending on your needs, if you simply want to generically push vertices+attributes for an object I can probably wrap this on the orxDisplay API itself at some point. :)

Have a good night!
  • edited July 2012
    enobayram wrote:
    Thanks for the tip about svn, I had to do it anyway, since my stupid anti-virus (McAfee) kept thinking that the pre-compiled orx.exe contained a virus and deleting it. Instead of meddling with it, I've simply compiled from source.

That was the best call on your end, for sure.

I compressed all the exe in the packages aggressively with upx and that triggers alarm for about 40% of the antivirus out there. Last time I do that to save some kb. ;)
  • edited July 2012
    I'm afraid you'll have to suffer through #ifdefs for now. :/

I guess that's OK,

iarwain wrote:
    But depending on your needs, if you simply want to generically push vertices+attributes for an object I can probably wrap this on the orxDisplay API itself at some point. :)

but this would be awesome! I've also browsed the forum a bit, and I can see that it would make a few more people happy too :)

Good night!
  • edited August 2012
    Hi there!

After days of trying different Game engines I'm ennding up on ORX with my friend Numael.
    We certainly will work on common projects while fully motivated for creating mobile games!

Cya :)
  • edited August 2012
    Hi TarKHaoS and welcome here!

As we've already told Numael don't hesitate if you have any questions. :)
  • edited August 2012
    TarKHaoS, welcome to the Orx community!
  • edited August 2013
    Hello!
    I decided to join in this great community of awesome game engine. That's what I searched for few years!
    Until this moment I used ZenGL game engine. (Writen in pascal, but all my main code I write in Object Pascal (FPC))
    Some days ago I decided to find something, that will help me to make game prototypes very fast, and I find ORX. For now, of course, I developing my big project with ZenGL, but next My creation I plan to make with ORX .
    Sorry for my bad English, I am from Ukraine, 17 years old. :P
  • jimjim
    edited August 2013
    pacmancoder, welcome here! And don't forget to ask questions if you have any. Your English is fine, its not my native too :)
  • edited August 2013
    Heh, so... There is my first noob question. About coordinates.
    How to change center of coordinatescamera... So. I have A screen with main camera. When i create a object "OBJ1" with pos 0;0 it apears in center of screen. Ok. I need this. I'll create a OBJ2 as a child of OBJ1. It apears in center of OBJ1. But what if I need to place it in top left corner of OBJ1. Yes, I can always write -0.5 ; -0.5 pos, but it is not comfortable for me. So, how I can change a center of coordinates ? ____________________________30.png
  • jimjim
    edited August 2013
    Hey, good to see you asking. Its always better to start a new thread while asking help for a particular thing. Anyway, I am answering it, you have to set Pivot for you graphic object. Where you define your Texture for your object. For your need you have to set it the following way, if you are creating an object named MyObject, then
    [MyObject]
    Graphic         = MyGraphic

[MyGraphic]
    Pivot         = top | left

Pivot value is default to center, but you can set it to any of bottom,left,right,top or mix of any two, e.g. bottom | left or bottom | right etc.
  • edited August 2013
    Hi pacmancoder and welcome here! :)

Thanks for opening another thread, I'm going to chime in there. :)
  • edited November 2013
    Greetings, everyone!

Been following Orx on the sidelines for the last 1-2 years. Recently started digging into it a bit more. Checked out the repository so I can always build the latest version. Currently going through the tutorials to familiarize myself with the basic usage.

Going to use Orx for some personal one-man projects re: procedural sound (synthesis) and music in games. Orx seems to be well-written and designed. I'm looking forward to playing around with it, and I hope I can get some help here when running into problems.

/ LG
  • edited November 2013
    Hi luffe_gaas and welcome here! =)

First of all, thank you for your kind appreciation so far.

The tutorials have been clearly lagging compared to the new features that have been added over the last couple of years. If you have any questions, don't hesitate, I'm sure there'll always be someone here to answer in a timely manner.

As for procedural sound synthesis, that reminds me that I have a WIP project of simple 8bit-oriented synthesizer based on orx that is doing synthesis/FXs in real time modifying packets on the fly when they're sent to OpenAL.
    I should probably find the time to write something about that feature one day. ;)

Cheers!
  • edited February 2014
    What a lovely little community this is. I've been lurking for a short while and I love how helpful and friendly everyone is here. Haven't had a chance to sink my teeth into orx yet, but I plan to start making games with it very soon.