My review and thanks.

edited December 2013 in General discussions
Sorry if this is not the right forum area.

So this semester I asked a teacher from my former college (I have already finished the course) to take the game development course.

The course goal is to create a playable prototype for a game. My final result (as well as the other students) can be found here (it is in portuguese):
https://wiki.inf.ufrgs.br/INF01019_Video_Games_Festival#Holy:_Arrows_and_Goats

A direct link to the video:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0UdeUM9pB-ndXlEdFM4Zm1hQU0/edit

There were three other students creating 2D games, two of them chose to use Construct2 and the other chose to use monogame. All of them regret their choices due to the limitations and bugs of those engines.

I must say that I am very happy with my final result and I must thank you for the awesome engine ORX is. I really wonder how come it isn't more popular.

The object creation from the config files allowed me to create some of the game effects really fast. I believe the last trap effects I created in under 15 minutes each!

Finally the things I had trouble with:
- Not being able to set a UserData free function was pretty annoying, as I have told, I could watch for the event, but this would be a much worse solution than simply having a orxObject_SetUserDataFreeFunction.

- The creation of objects from ini files is too quiet. I lost a lot of time because I used texture in the ini file instead of Texture. Also, if the texture file doesn't exist, there could be some warning. I was once coding using windows - which is case insensitive - and all was fine, tried to change to linux, the code broke. Took me some time to realize what was wrong.

Once again, thank you for all the help.

Comments

• edited December 2013
    Knolan wrote:
    Sorry if this is not the right forum area.

So this semester I asked a teacher from my former college (I have already finished the course) to take the game development course.

The course goal is to create a playable prototype for a game. My final result (as well as the other students) can be found here (it is in portuguese):
    https://wiki.inf.ufrgs.br/INF01019_Video_Games_Festival#Holy:_Arrows_and_Goats

A direct link to the video:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0UdeUM9pB-ndXlEdFM4Zm1hQU0/edit

There were three other students creating 2D games, two of them chose to use Construct2 and the other chose to use monogame. All of them regret their choices due to the limitations and bugs of those engines.

Congrats for your game prototype! Don't worry about the forum section, the Project one might be the best suited for showing your own projects, but here is fine too. :)
    I must say that I am very happy with my final result and I must thank you for the awesome engine ORX is. I really wonder how come it isn't more popular.

Well, one of the main reason, I think, is that the site is damn ugly and doesn't catch people's attention (and I'm the only culprit for that, I'm just a terrible web designer and I hate doing anything web-related).

Another reason being that the community is very small and there hasn't been many tutorials/posts on users' personal blog, so it's hard to reach new people without that.
    The object creation from the config files allowed me to create some of the game effects really fast. I believe the last trap effects I created in under 15 minutes each!

And I really like the leaf swirl from the video you posted.
    Finally the things I had trouble with:
    - Not being able to set a UserData free function was pretty annoying, as I have told, I could watch for the event, but this would be a much worse solution than simply having a orxObject_SetUserDataFreeFunction.

Well, one can easily implement a SetUserDataFreeFunction by adding an event handler. The whole thing is probably 5-10 lines of code total. :)
    - The creation of objects from ini files is too quiet. I lost a lot of time because I used texture in the ini file instead of Texture. Also, if the texture file doesn't exist, there could be some warning. I was once coding using windows - which is case insensitive - and all was fine, tried to change to linux, the code broke. Took me some time to realize what was wrong.

Have you run your game in debug? All the checks, warning&error messages are only done in debug. For example, if I remove an image, I get a log like this:
    [22:55:36] [DISPLAY] [orxtexture.c:orxTexture_CreateFromFile():770] Failed to load bitmap [wall.png] and link it to texture.
    [22:55:36] [DISPLAY] [orxgraphic.c:orxGraphic_CreateFromConfig():722] Couldn't get text or texture for graphic (WallGraphic).

It's actually quite verbose and one might want to tweak which categories should output debug logs. By default they'll be sent to both the terminal and a log file, but all this is configurable (timestamp, no timestamp, to file, to terminal, to console, which category is muted, etc...) if you look at orxDebug.h.
    Once again, thank you for all the help.

My pleasure. We'll be happy to help you again were you to choose continuing to use orx in the future. I'm sure there's still a few features you probably have found yet. ;)
  • edited December 2013
    Congrats !!!!