It's been a while!

Hey guys. I wonder if anyone remembers me?

Anyway, I've been gone way too long. My computer died and all I have now is a tablet (that thankfully runs full Windows 8! But not Linux yet).

So, how feasible is it to do orx development with only 2 gigs of ram? I've been installing all of my development tools onto an external hard drive because this computer only has 64 gigs of solid state space on it (and half of that is Windows!). I need to get something worth developing on soon, not sure if I should go with a desktop or laptop. I'm still in school (things are rough here!) and when I graduate I want to get to work coding. I've come up with a lot of game ideas since the last time I was here, and I wonder how many of them I can do with this engine?

Also, I know this is probably way down the line, but is orx portable to things like game consoles? I'd love to have a game on the Wii U one day! (Could orx handle asymmetric dual-screen rendering? You know, for the game pad.)

Comments

• edited March 2014
    Welcome back =)

2d games don't really demand much ram, so if you use a simple develepment environment (a lightweight linux, with vim, for instance), you should have no problem.

About producing games for other consoles, I don't think so... you can probably get it running on OUYA pretty easily, but the big next gen consoles I would bet in no. Still, maybe iarwain can give you a better answer.
  • edited March 2014
    Welcome back! =)

2 Gigs of RAM is plenty. That's more than what I had most of the time over the past few years. I only upgraded a couple of years ago.

If you tell us more about your ideas we could tell how feasible we think they are with orx. ;)

Adding support for more than one display surface wouldn't be too hard to do. It's actually on my TODO list for when I'll integrate the new version of GLFW (3.x). I'm still waiting for them to add support for localized keyboards and when that's in, I'll do the update + multi-screen support.

Regarding gaming consoles, it wouldn't be that much work either for most of them. The trickiest ones would be Microsoft's as they have some annoying restrictions for XBLIG games (unless you get accepted for XBLA and in that case most of those restrictions go away).
    Most of the work would be done in the plugins, knowing that the display and physics plugins would probably stay the same as they currently are, leaving to adapt the 5 other plugins for a given hardware/OS: mouse, keyboard, joystick, display and sound.
    One would probably use the existing dummy plugins for mouse & keyboard on most game consoles, leaving in the end only 3 plugins to take care of.

Unfortunately I can't add any public support for those myself due to NDAs that come with gaming console SDKs.
  • edited March 2014
    Oh yeah, forgot about the whole NDA thing. Right. Anyway, that's comforting. I'm looking forward to watching this engine evolve. I'll have to start writing small programs again to get used to it, as well as come up with a good coding standard to keep myself organized.