New people

edited April 2010 in General discussions
Hi Fellows,

Well not that new as I have downloaded orx two or three times but not actually sat down with it but now thinking of using it in my prgogramming classes. Its C/C++ classes, so either C or C++ but more of C++ than C (to keep the students happy) ;) .

My first look shows that only few standalone demos (2) are available but I asked why not more? Is this because standalones are not data driven :unsure: or not encourage with using orx? Is there anywhere in the forum/website where I can learn more about the C++ side of orx and creating extensions for orx. Also I saw talk on CEGUI for orx but was unable to download the sample, Is this now part of orx?

Best of all I am very happy with orx so far and I believe my BTEC national Students will enjoy programming and having fun with.

God blesses!!!

Best regards,
sanyaade

Comments

• edited April 2010
    sanyaade wrote:
    Hi Fellows,

Hi sanyaade and welcome amongst us! :)
    Well not that new as I have downloaded orx two or three times but not actually sat down with it but now thinking of using it in my prgogramming classes. Its C/C++ classes, so either C or C++ but more of C++ than C (to keep the students happy) ;) .

My first look shows that only few standalone demos (2) are available but I asked why not more? Is this because standalones are not data driven :unsure: or not encourage with using orx? Is there anywhere in the forum/website where I can learn more about the C++ side of orx and creating extensions for orx. Also I saw talk on CEGUI for orx but was unable to download the sample, Is this now part of orx?

Well there aren't more standalone demo simply because I ran out of time working on orx itself, the wiki, the iPhone plugins and some game prototypes on my own.
    I definitely think stand alone are the way to go as some platforms don't accept loading plugins at runtime (such as iPhone or Wii, for example) and they are as data-driven as any other kind of project made with orx. :)

One day, when I find the time, I'll change all the non-stand alone tutorials to stand alone ones. But that requires a good amount of time as the wiki and all build project have to be modified.

If you want a bigger C++ example, you can have a look to the small platformer I released for the latest TIGSource competition. It's a stand alone written in C++, using both Orx and Scroll (the C++ template making orx easier to use and adding a level editor to it). The entire source code is available as well as binaries for linux, windows and mac os x. The level editor is also embedded in the game. You can download the whole package here: http://gamejolt.com/open-source/games/platformer/mushroom-stew/1369/

For CeGUI, MrGreen who was working on it didn't give any news since then and the CeGUI branch on the svn repository hasn't been updated. Unless someone is willing to finish his work I can't tell when this will be integrated in orx.
    However CeGUI can still be used in addition to orx but requires more work than if it was part of orx itself.
    Best of all I am very happy with orx so far and I believe my BTEC national Students will enjoy programming and having fun with.

God blesses!!!

Best regards,
    sanyaade

Thanks a lot for your appreciation and your feedback, it's good to hear that people are enjoying orx. :)
    If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Best regards,

- iarwain
  • edited April 2010
    Hi iarwain,

Thanks for your quick reply and for explaining things around orx. Sorry to hear that you are the only one do everything about Orx. I hope I will be able to help during my time here.

Quote text:
    I definitely think stand alone are the way to go as some platforms don't accept loading plugins at runtime (such as iPhone or Wii, for example) and they are as data-driven as any other kind of project made with orx

Well if you explain what is required to convert the demos to standalone then I can give these as tasks to my students as course work/assignment (2-3 week task)where each of the demos is assigned to a students to complete :laugh: . what do you think?

I will also look at the links you gave in your reply (Many thanks). I will ask my students to register on this forum tomorrow (19/04/2010) and have a look at the demos, play around with them and we will be waiting for your reply and instructions/directions. The students will also document their work and these can be upload to the website. please reply to this as well.

Another way to go in future may be turning the .ini file into a script based which it is as far as I believe but may be create an IDE :ohmy: for orx where the script can be passed to orx on the command line and run it (e.g. using scintilla). I have configure/adopted Scite for gcBasic (Great Cow Basic) --> (http://gcbasic.sourceforge.net/starting.html) in the past. People have used LUA, Neko, Haxe, etc... like this. TCL and Python exe wrapper mostly wrapped the script file inside the executable file as one single file. AutoHotKey (http://www.autohotkey.com/) and SimKin (http://www.simkin.co.uk/simkin_language.html) scripting language also uses this techniques

I will be waiting for your reply.

God blesses!!!

Best regards.
    Sanyaade
  • edited April 2010
    sanyaade wrote:
    Hi iarwain,

Thanks for your quick reply and for explaining things around orx. Sorry to hear that you are the only one do everything about Orx. I hope I will be able to help during my time here.

Hi sanyaade,

My pleasure for the reply. I'm sure there will be more contributors in the future, it's just a matter of time for the community to grow, hopefully. :)
    Well if you explain what is required to convert the demos to standalone then I can give these as tasks to my students as course work/assignment (2-3 week task)where each of the demos is assigned to a students to complete :laugh: . what do you think?

Sounds like a great idea but I'm afraid this specific task is not very code centric. Updating the code for the 9 tutorials will probably take 3-4 hours max, it's updating all the project files and the wiki that is tedious and time consuming. :)
    For the code itself, it's just a matter of adding a main, an update and an exit function which are almost all empty.
    I will also look at the links you gave in your reply (Many thanks). I will ask my students to register on this forum tomorrow (19/04/2010) and have a look at the demos, play around with them and we will be waiting for your reply and instructions/directions. The students will also document their work and these can be upload to the website. please reply to this as well.

If you feel like giving them exercises like creating mini-games or anything using orx, I'll be happy to publish their work on the website with the proper credits, of course.
    Another way to go in future may be turning the .ini file into a script based which it is as far as I believe but may be create an IDE :ohmy: for orx where the script can be passed to orx on the command line and run it (e.g. using scintilla). I have configure/adopted Scite for gcBasic (Great Cow Basic) --> (http://gcbasic.sourceforge.net/starting.html) in the past. People have used LUA, Neko, Haxe, etc... like this. TCL and Python exe wrapper mostly wrapped the script file inside the executable file as one single file. AutoHotKey (http://www.autohotkey.com/) and SimKin (http://www.simkin.co.uk/simkin_language.html) scripting language also uses this techniques

This is actually an idea we had since the beginning of orx but the person in charge on this part is not on the project anymore (for a couple of years now). EyeCreate began writing a GUI editor for orx's config files called Pey (you can find more details here). Having an IDE will sure make it more accessible, especially for tedious tasks such as animations integration.

As for adding a scripting language, at the beginning we wanted an open system and someone worked a bit on it but I removed it from the distribution as it was incomplete. Lately I've been looking at AngelScript which looked pretty interesting for this task too. If you think that integrating scripting in orx would be a task not too hard and also interesting for your students, please let me know, as I'm sure the whole community would benefit of such a feature! :)
    I will be waiting for your reply.

God blesses!!!

Best regards.
    Sanyaade

You can contact me directly to iarwain [AT] orx-project [DOT] org if you wish.

Thanks again for your interest in orx! :)

Best,

- iarwain
  • edited April 2010
    iarwain wrote:
    This is actually an idea we had since the beginning of orx but the person in charge on this part is not on the project anymore (for a couple of years now). EyeCreate began writing a GUI editor for orx's config files called Pey (you can find more details here). Having an IDE will sure make it more accessible, especially for tedious tasks such as animations integration.

As for adding a scripting language, at the beginning we wanted an open system and someone worked a bit on it but I removed it from the distribution as it was incomplete. Lately I've been looking at AngelScript which looked pretty interesting for this task too. If you think that integrating scripting in orx would be a task not too hard and also interesting for your students, please let me know, as I'm sure the whole community would benefit of such a feature! :)

I had been thinking the same thing several months ago about Orx having an IDE. It's something that I would love to contribute to and, since I now have some official (college) experience with C++, I feel that I can help work on this if iarwain is open to it. As for integrating Orx with a scripting language, I'd love to help with that as well. Basically, I love both of these ideas and am all for putting my spare time into developing either or both of these.
  • edited April 2010
    If you have experience with C++ and Qt, then maybe you could help me with my Pey project I've been working on.(though, beware of the code, it does eat children ;) ) I started making it so that I could immerse myself in the Orx code and make tools to make it easier to design the game I'm going to create with Orx. You're welcome to create your own, though, if you have a better idea or just want to do your own project.
  • edited April 2010
    eyecreate wrote:
    If you have experience with C++ and Qt, then maybe you could help me with my Pey project I've been working on.(though, beware of the code, it does eat children ) I started making it so that I could immerse myself in the Orx code and make tools to make it easier to design the game I'm going to create with Orx. You're welcome to create your own, though, if you have a better idea or just want to do your own project.
    I'd love to be of help! I also think that trying my best to contribute to something will also help me develop with regard to C++. I have some experience with C++ but none with Qt; however, I'll take a look at how it is structured and see if I can understand it enough to be of help. I'll let you know how it turns out!