Pop Baby Smiley

edited May 2015 in Projects - Tools
Hi everyone,

Together with my wife, we've just published our first game using Orx on the Google Play Store! :)

This is a simple game for entertaining babies, and it has served us as an exercise for seeing the entire process of getting a game on the market. The exercise will be complete when we publish it on the iOS App Store next.

If you have any questions, I'd be pleased to answer them.

Comments

• edited May 2015
    Nice one! My daughters being a bit too old now for that kind of app, I did the playtesting myself. :)

I have to admit I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the ad approach.

Personally I might have been lucky as I haven't gotten any ad-based baby/kid app so far (and I have installed dozens and dozens of them), they were all either limited versions or regular pay applications.

Also I just tried launching it with network restriction (with both Kid's Place and No Root Firewall), and the game goes to the main menu but it's impossible to start it, the start button won't react.
  • edited May 2015
    Nice one! Are you going to post a video?
  • edited May 2015
    Thanks for checking it out :)

iarwain wrote:
    I have to admit I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the ad approach.

Well, in our defense, we've restricted the ads to the menu, i.e. when you'd expect the parent to be using it. From a more pragmatic angle, we wanted to go through ad integration and in-app purchases for our upcoming games.
    Also I just tried launching it with network restriction (with both Kid's Place and No Root Firewall), and the game goes to the main menu but it's impossible to start it, the start button won't react.

Wow, that paragraph helped me immensely in solving that menu-freeze bug. I've updated it on Google Play, so you might want to try again.

sausage wrote:
    Are you going to post a video?

I can provide a link for the YouTube promo video: the YouTube promo video

Incidentally, what do you use for high-quality screen capture? I found it quite hard to capture high FPS and high res on the desktop. On Android, the screen capture applications require root permissions, and I'm a bit reluctant to give it to them on my personal devices.
  • edited May 2015
    Thanks for posting the video. For capture I used camstudio. It has it's quirks and I end up doing conversions and fix ups in Premiere anyway. So it's not a low cost way.
  • edited May 2015
    For video/sound capture, I use Open Broadcaster Software. It's mostly used to broadcast over Twitch and co, but works great as a capture tool as well: https://obsproject.com/
  • edited May 2015
    Thanks for the suggestions, we've ended up using Open Broadcaster Software. It's really nice to use, gives high-quality output too.

Using a mobile + desktop engine has many rewards, even when you're not targeting one of them.
  • edited May 2015
    OBS seems to be so much better than what I was using/doing.