Getting started with orx

edited December 2009 in Help request
I was wondering if someone could point me to some tutiorals on how to use orx other than the ones that are there on the wiki. Like ones for the graphic library this software uses.

Comments

• edited December 2009
    The only available tutorials currently are on the wiki (the 11 "official" ones + the setup one Grey made).

You can also have look to Drops' project sources (available in the corresponding section of the project forum).

Orx is plugin based and currently there are 2 display plugins: one based on SDL and one on SFML. The render plugin is written from scratch and currently only supports 2D rendering.

You don't need to issue any graphic library call yourself, just create objects which have graphic properties, they'll be displayed on screen if they're in front of the camera. :)
  • edited January 2010
    Well is there any opengl backend for this that i can get? Or do i need to get sdl or sfml? I also have some i might use which later i will make it so the user can customize the character but it will start with the generic non-customizable characters. But i have to make some choices and get some weapons for characters to use.
  • edited January 2010
    SFML is based on OpenGL, so all the low level calls are OpenGL ones. When you get orx, you don't need to get anything else for graphic/sound/physics: everything is embedded inside.

When you'll get to user customization, you'll see that orx's config module is very handy for this kind of things. :)

Also, you should get orx from the subversion repository as the latest released version (1.0) begins to be pretty outdated. I'm still looking for someone having access to visual studio 2005 so as to release a new version.
  • edited January 2010
    well that won't be me i can't download 2005 especially because microsoft does not support it anymore so i would not be able to get help from them if any problems
  • edited January 2010
    Actually we can still find the download link via google. It's just that msvs2005'compiler doesn't work on my computer for an obscure reason I haven't found yet.
  • edited January 2010
    Well maybe i could try later. Just tell me what to do and i will try to help and maybe i can try to get better at c++. I am still learning like most of us. Hey does anyone know how to make a tetris look alike in c++ using orx?
  • edited January 2010
    Mmh, I could write a more advanced tutorial around a tetris-clone game (I was thinking a pong-clone at first, actually), but I won't have time to do so before a week or two.

Otherwise, the logic itself wouldn't be very different with or without orx. It's more the way to create your object and handle them and I think looking at the tutorials or at Drops and ProjectX (two projects that you can find in the project section of the forum) might give you all the info you need.
  • edited January 2010
    That would be awesome! Thanks for all you do! You make all this stuff easier with all those tutorials!
  • edited January 2010
    No problem! Hope the available tutos and both projects will help you understand how to use orx. :)
  • edited January 2010
    Just how do you create the address linker file? I see that is how you made your levels in your project x game.
  • edited January 2010
    milleja46 wrote:
    Just how do you create the address linker file? I see that is how you made your levels in your project x game.

Mmh, not sure I understand your question. What do you mean by the address linker file?

The levels in ProjectX/Mushroom Stew were made with ScrollEd, the level editor embedded in Scroll. To start it, use the game executable with the command line switch -editor.
  • edited January 2010
    Well i saw that is how the level's were connected to your project when i looked at the code included with the game since it somehow is included with it.
  • edited January 2010
    Also how would i modify the scrolled to go up, down and left and right so a player could walk all across the screen instead of left and right?
  • edited January 2010
    Keys/mouse buttons/pad buttons are bound to input names such as Attack, MoveLeft, or any input you need for your game.

Then in your code you test for active inputs and update your logic/character state accordingly.

If you want to do a game with a top/down view, you alterate the Y coord/speed when your MoveUp/MoveDown (or whichever you chose) inputs are active and same for the X axis with Left/Right.

If you use physics, be sure to remove gravity. :)

There's a small example given with scroll here.
  • edited January 2010
    Well i think i am still going to let them jump by pressing space or another button.
  • edited May 2010
    Ok, i'm back and have a question because i don't remember much about orx:
    1.) Can orx handle 3d?
    2.) Can io do vb.net in it(if i convert the code)?
  • edited May 2010
    milleja46 wrote:
    Ok, i'm back and have a question because i don't remember much about orx:
    1.) Can orx handle 3d?

All the objects use abstract date and are in a 3D space, however no 3D plugins have been written so far, so the short answer is no.
    2.) Can io do vb.net in it(if i convert the code)?

No .NET bindings have been written for orx yet. If you want to contribute to them, you're more than welcome to do so. :)