when orx support ipad?

BTW,because I have bought a ipad today, I want to know when orx support ipad........I tried change display size in config,but orx always crashes.

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Do you have the callstack by any chance?

I'll give the iPad a try after the release of 1.2, I'm sure it won't be too hard to support.

EDIT: Changing the display size in the config won't affect the iPhone version: the view/display is hardcoded, I'll change that for something more adaptable.
  • edited May 2010
    It crashed before display anything in display function.

OK,I wait for that.

I found a thing,the orx does not encourage us to understand the source code because of config depending.In other library/engine,man easily debug into source code when something wrong.
  • edited May 2010
    It probably crash at initialization, I wanted to know if you had the debugger call stack but I'll look into it myself, when I'll have installed the SDK 3.2

As for getting into the source code, I'm not sure to understand what you mean. The source itself is extensively commented.
  • edited May 2010
    iarwain wrote:
    It probably crash at initialization, I wanted to know if you had the debugger call stack but I'll look into it myself, when I'll have installed the SDK 3.2

As for getting into the source code, I'm not sure to understand what you mean. The source itself is extensively commented.

The source code problem: Because the config is the major part of a program,It does not encourage us to understand the source code.It encourage us to found out what wrong in config.

If there is only source code,we can't do anything except debugging into the source code.The problem have no relationship with source code,It depends on the programing way with orx.
  • edited May 2010
    Ok, thought you meant orx's source code, not code of projects using orx.
  • edited May 2010
    Just my personal feel.Sometimes I feel very helpless when I code with orx alone.
  • edited May 2010
    Hope it's getting better!

As for the iPad support, apparently the SDK requires Snow Leopard and I'm still using Leopard so it might not be something I can do myself very soon.
  • edited May 2010
    If you don't want to install the snow leopard and new SDK,I can provide the help you need. I have snow leopard,the SDK and a IPad.
  • edited May 2010
    The newest orx code in svn looks like support ipad now. I have get it run the IPad simulator.
    And It's too late,and I will try it in my IPad tomorrow.

the setting should be changed:

XCode:
    SDK: 3.2
    targeted device family: iphone/Ipad
    iphone os deployment target: OS 3.2
    architectrues: arm7

Config:
    ScreenWidth = 768
    ScreenHeight = 1024

rebuild box2d with the setting and rebuild all orx. It will run.
    Thanks iarwain for support me to do this and answered so many questions.Thanks iarwain to make orx so great!

Screen_shot_2010_05_21_at_1.png
  • edited May 2010
    Nice to see that you have it running on the iPad emulator!
    I'll update the projects to support arm7 and will update the external dependencies.

I'm glad you like orx and hope you'll be happy using it. :)
  • edited May 2010
    Because my GF take my ipad to her school, I still can't try it on real device.Sorry for that.But I don't think it will have problem.

I see the newest code of orx.orx in svn have so many projects as a portable game engine.I think I could try to have these being generated by CMake.But I can't get all the test environment.I can only test it in lastest xcode and VS2008.I think using CMake is a good way to do this.
  • edited June 2010
    And I found the tutorial in VS2008 don't have a debug compile config,that's weird.......

And I'm afraid I must say the dynamic way to run program is not a good way to learn into the orx.It's just a good way to rapid dev.
  • edited June 2010
    jtianling wrote:
    And I found the tutorial in VS2008 don't have a debug compile config,that's weird.......

It was in order to get smaller packages (not including the debug libraries which are much bigger). I can change that in the future.
    And I'm afraid I must say the dynamic way to run program is not a good way to learn into the orx.It's just a good way to rapid dev.

That's right. But the non-launcher version was ready after the launcher one.
    I have the plan to change all the tutorials to create stand alones, but that requires a good amount of time to update all the projects and the wiki. Not sure when I'll do that unless someone would feel like doing it.
  • edited June 2010
    I try to look into the code of orx.But it's so time-costing.And I even can't create a new project with the source code of orx,that's so sad.

Did any one try to use the vs2008 project? There's no project dependening config, tutorial have no debug config.I think It should be better.

I don't just want to run tutorial with orx being Black box, I want to know more.But the project config doesn't suit for that.

And if there's a architecture explain document, It should be great for who want to read the code of orx into detail.Comments is very detailed,but doesn't tell about it.
  • edited June 2010
    Hey jtianling,

I'm not sure what the problem is, but if you use My Tutorials, the entire project is created using Visual Studio 2008, with both debug and release versions.

This does not cover compiling orx itself (from SVN etc) but you shouldn't need to know how to do any of that if all you're after is a way to create games. Not that this is particularly difficult either. In my experience, compiling orx from SVN has been a simple matter of updating, then hitting "compile" in Visual Studios. The project file for doing this was working perfectly last time I checked.
  • edited June 2010
    jtianling wrote:
    I try to look into the code of orx.But it's so time-costing.And I even can't create a new project with the source code of orx,that's so sad.

I have no clue about what is blocking you. Using orx is as simple as it can be.
    You use the header orx.h from the include folder, orx.lib from the lib and you put the DLLs files in your executable folder.
    For debug, the only change is to use orxd.lib/orxd.dll and specify __orxDEBUG__ as preprocessor define, as specified in the README file.

As Grey already said, you can look at his tutorials as everything is explained step by step for vs2008 with screenshots.
    Did any one try to use the vs2008 project? There's no project dependening config, tutorial have no debug config.I think It should be better.

All the vs2008 projects in orx (ie. orx's core, tutorials or tools ones) are working fine last time I checked.

If you're using the svn version, the tutorial won't compile out-of-the-box as the library need to be rebuilt and copied first. I only do this update when a new release is coming.
    However, you can manually update the lib and include folders of the tutorials if you're using the SVN version.

If you're using the released versions (ie. the packages on sourceforge), everything compiles out-of-the-box.
    I don't just want to run tutorial with orx being Black box, I want to know more.But the project config doesn't suit for that.

Still not sure what you mean. Orx's core source code is available, there are project files for every platforms and they all build out-of-the-box, even on the SVN version.
    And if there's a architecture explain document, It should be great for who want to read the code of orx into detail.Comments is very detailed,but doesn't tell about it.

There's no internal doc about orx's core, beside the doxygen API doc, as I'm the only contributor right now. I'll make some when there will be other programmers working on it.
  • edited June 2010
    I found what problem I meet. I just used the svn version at a wrong time and I couldn't get it run with a right project config.....

Thanks for your help the same.

Since I had been a professional programmer two years,I feel so sad when I found I couldn't create a project I wanted with orx.....
  • edited June 2010
    My IPad had been returned.
    I had tested the new orx in svn.

the Orx works there.But It still have some config change needed. Maybe because iarwain didn't get a new version XCode.
    But it could be changed easily.

The images scale smaller for the forum post.Maybe iarwain could allow larger images posted here.I nearly need to process every pic I want to post here.

IMG_0015.PNG
  • edited June 2010
    IMG_0014.PNG

more image, could see the fps will be lower when more objects created.
  • edited June 2010
    I couldn't install Snow Leopard, the install CD tells me it can't be installed on my computer, and I have no idea why (it's an intel macbook under Leopard right now).
    Without Snow Leopard I'm stuck with SDK 3.1, so no iPad support here. :/

As for your FPS issue, did you find which part is expensive? My guess would be the physics simulation. You can try lowering the number of iterations per step in the physics module config. In this test, objects aren't destroyed when getting out of screen, the physics world is bigger.
    I don't know what would be a nice limit of the number of physical objects you can have at once, maybe you can get more information from Box2D forums.

If the CPU intensive part isn't physics simulation, please let me know and I'll try to find the reason.
  • edited June 2010
    iarwain wrote:
    I couldn't install Snow Leopard, the install CD tells me it can't be installed on my computer, and I have no idea why (it's an intel macbook under Leopard right now).

I don't know there is a way I could help with that.
    As for your FPS issue, did you find which part is expensive? My guess would be the physics simulation. You can try lowering the number of iterations per step in the physics module config. In this test, objects aren't destroyed when getting out of screen, the physics world is bigger.
    I don't know what would be a nice limit of the number of physical objects you can have at once, maybe you can get more information from Box2D forums.

If the CPU intensive part isn't physics simulation, please let me know and I'll try to find the reason.

Maybe It's a problem when I use the debug version. I test the DragonCude (a lot of cubes you know), the debug version cost 50% CPU in my PC with FPS 1X and the release version cost 20~30 CPU with FPS 60.
  • edited June 2010
    iarwain wrote:

I can sure it's not costing in physics simulation. I commented the code for Generator and physics event and just create walls.It cost a lot the same.

Have a look about the screenshot. Screen_shot_2010_06_20_at_3.png
  • edited June 2010
    More information about it. It running with release version.

And I set
    [Clock]
    MainClockFrequency = 20

the CPU cost is limit to 15% now. But I think it cost too much the same.
    Maybe it's the problem in main loop.

And I test when I didn't do the clock frequency limit.It's FPS up to 80.The sync look like working.
  • edited June 2010
    Which version are you using now? svn with SFML or SDL plugins?

I guess SFML plugins as I haven't updated XCode project files for Mac OS X yet.

You should try to sample the process and see where the time is spent.
    As I can't reproduce your issue here, if I don't have more precise information, I won't be able to help much with that.
  • edited June 2010
    iarwain wrote:

This is the worst news from you. Because that means you can't let Orx support IPad very well. If you even can't install a SDK for that.

Don't you ask the support of Apple for more information?
  • edited June 2010
    iarwain wrote:
    Which version are you using now? svn with SFML or SDL plugins?

I guess SFML plugins as I haven't updated XCode project files for Mac OS X yet.

You should try to sample the process and see where the time is spent.
    As I can't reproduce your issue here, if I don't have more precise information, I won't be able to help much with that.

I'm sorry that you didn't get what I mean.

I didn't talk about a IPad version Orx. It's the orx in the SVN, not just for IPad but for IPhone too. So I think you could reproduce my issue yourself.And so I didn't give more information.
    today I tried the newest orx in the SVN and run the IPhone test in my MacBook without any change, and without any physics object created.

This is the CPU sample. I don't know if it is enough, If it is not, let me know and tell me how to do more.
    I will always glad for help if I could help more.
    Screen_shot_2010_06_23_at_12.png
  • edited June 2010
    Don't worry for the iPad, that should be only a temporary situation.
    I intend to have Snow Leopard running on my computer at some point, but for now I already have enough on my plate!
    I'll probably check that after moving in a couple of weeks.

As for the sampling, that didn't bring much information unfortunately, I'll try on my side. I'm pretty sure using the MainClockFrequency with no VSync will help you with iPhone/iPad development.