Building on windows, IDE help

Hi,

I've created a new project using the init script, but I'm not sure how to build it. I see the visual studio project files in the build/windows folder, but I'm not sure what to do with them. (I've never used Visual Studio before, and the version I have installed is the free version, if that makes a difference.)

I'd really like to use Sublime or QtCreator to build the project since I've used them in the past, but is this too much of a hassle? Should I download codeblocks or codelite instead, or can I build it with Visual Studio Code?

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi Nar, using the free community version of Visual Studio is totally fine. In the project you created, you will find an .sln file. Open this in Visual Studio. You should be able to press the Run button (green triangle) which will compile and run the test application for you.

Now you can just edit your project's .cpp file or .ini file to make changes to the code and start experimenting.

You'll find the beginners guide here: http://orx-project.org/wiki/en/guides/beginners/main

And all the other tutorials and examples on the wiki here: orx-project.org/wiki

If I can help in any way, please let me know.

• You can use sublime (@iarwain is orx' author and he uses sublime).

As long as any editor can trigger a GCC compile build, you can use it as well.

• Hi @nar and welcome here.

Personally I use Sublime to edit my code and visual studio to build/debug. I'd recommend using visual studio as the compiler on windows as it's usually easier to setup/maintain, but it's not an obligation.

Before building your own project, don't forget to build orx itself. @sausage has documented process in the wiki:

• @iarwain might be worth me documenting that. There's a lot of sublime users out there.

• Turns out that I was using Visual Studio Code, which is just a code editor, instead of Visual Studio Community, which is the full IDE. It works now, thanks everyone!

• Ahhh.... heh. Oh well. But just so you know, you can use Visual Studio Code... but I wasn't successful getting it to talk to GCC and all that. So I didn't persist with it.

• Actually, @iarwain, with Sublime, is the editor aware of environment variables? So it can work with the $ORX variable? Or it just firing GCC externally?

• edited September 2019

Last time I compiled from Sublime, the whole environment setup didn't exist, so I had to add all the paths myself.
    I haven't tried ever since, but it could be an interesting side project one of those winter snowy days.

@nar glad you got it working. I should try VS Code to see if we can have a working setup with it at some point.
    Don't hesitate if you have any other questions!