I was hoping we could get together and create a best practices/best style guide for Orx config. Maybe something we could put as a wiki page?
Good organization of config .ini files is important in a larger project.
I'll start. Here are some things I do that I have found helpful for organizing the config.
- Use Hungarian notation for the section types. For example, call the sections [O-<name>] for an object, [G-<name>] for a graphic, [FXS-<name>] for an FXSlot, etc.
- Split the section types into different files. graphics.ini, strings.ini.
- Split game objects by scene. levelobjects.ini, titlescreenobjects.ini, sharedobjects.ini
- Indent two spaces for the objects that are part of a ChildList of an owner object
- New one, testing now: If I have a base object that's inherited and extended by a lot of child objects, I don't specify position in the base object. Every child object specifies its position explicitly (avoids confusion when reading the sections).
Any comments on the above? Any other tips that others have found?