Keyboard key stuck

edited October 2013 in General discussions
Hey there, after a long hiatus I've now picked up developing my little game again. I've just upgraded from 1.3 to 1.5 and really like what's been happening to orx while I've been "gone".

Anyway, I've noticed on my main dev PC, a Dell laptop, that keys sometimes hang. It seems like it's when I hold down several keys and then let go of at least two at more at the same time. The input is still active, and orxKeyboard_IsKeyPressed keeps returning true.

If I plug in an external keyboard, I don't have the problem.

I'm guessing this is some kind of problem specific to my computer right? A driver that needs updating maybe?

Just wanted to check if anyone knows whether this could potentially be a common issue for other people out there, or if there are any workarounds I could do in my own code?

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Heya Boxjar, just to rule out your gear and project, try out the compiled 1.5 examples that use keyboard input just to double check.
  • edited October 2013
    Thanks, that's a good idea - I'll try that.
  • edited October 2013
    Hi boxjar,

Nice to see you around! :)

I've never experienced sticky keys myself but it might be a known issues with GLFW 2.7. You should check their forums to see if you can find anything related.
    I plan to upgrade to GLFW 3.0 before orx 1.6, but it is not a trivial task (as Elmindreda removed a feature in GLFW 3.0 that I was using for orx and will have to re-implement during the integration process). Maybe that version will behave more nicely for you. No ETA though, sorry!
  • edited October 2013
    I tried a couple of the orx tutorial projects today and could replicate my issue, in particular if I held down the up and left keys and let go of them at the same time. Several times the left key got stuck. Using my external keyboard It didn't happen.

Couldn't find anything relevant when googling about the issue and GLFW, but haven't been searching a lot. Nothing I'm too concerned about, but definitely interested to hear if anyone has had any similar problems.
  • edited November 2013
    That's annoying, unfortunately I've never encountered it myself so it'll be hard for me to inspect on my side.

I'll let you know when GLFW 3.0 is integrated, hopefully that'll make a difference.
  • jimjim
    edited November 2013
    Just saying, is there anyway we might be benefited by glfw 3.0 features like multi-window, multi-monitor and other interesting feature ?
  • edited November 2013
    Multi-window, sure, though no ETA, which other features are you thinking of?
  • jimjim
    edited November 2013
    Well, I don't see other useful feature, I thought they added basic drag n drop like sdl2.0 but its not present. Still, multi-window would be a cool feature :) for in game level editor or for a tool made around orx.

Edit : Get joystick names, setting window position (not sure if its now present or not)